Positive Focus Thursday - Coming Out of a 'Slump'

It's that time of the year.

The time of the year when I go into my doldrums. Or be in a slump. Maybe a bit of seasonal affective disorder. I discovered several years ago from mid-January to about mid-March I crash mentally. 

When I was working and taking online classes a few years ago it really was evident. The fall semester was great. Work done on time or even early. 

The winter semester would start. I would be all ready to go the first of January and then about two weeks into the semester I would basically 'give up'. I wasn't interested in anything, especially my classes, regardless of how much I was looking forward to the class.

It was also the time I just wanted to curl up and lay there. Not go to work. Not do housework. Not do much of anything.

So I started noticing a pattern, year after year. I look for it now. Not that I look forward to it, but I pay attention to my mental state during this part of the year so I don't slip further into a depressive state.


But I can feel it's time to 'come out of it'.

Trees and flowers are starting their spring thing now. The temperatures are rising. I have a fun weekend planned coming up toward the end of March for Lady K (Myrtle Beach!).

Today is my day off and I am FINALLY going to finish rearranging my room. It means picking all the little bits and pieces up off the floor and putting them where they belong. Cleaning up my room will go a long way to easing my mental 'distress'.

I do have to pat myself on the back a bit. One of my issues in the past was buying things I didn't need during this time of the year. I have managed NOT to do that this year. I did go with Texter yesterday to look for swimsuits and I found one which I think will work (and look) nicely. I also found on the sale rack a replacement for the old jacket Lady K has taken to basically wear as a housecoat. But more about those later.

So today will be a little bit of self care. A candle burning and releasing a lovely scent while I work on my room. Something streaming on the computer which is fun. Getting things put up so I can actually see the floor (other than a path through the room). 

I do have to run quickly to the grocery store to pick up the cottage cheese I need to make the Starbucks Egg Bites for Savvy and me this morning. And of course, coffee! 

Later today, I have to run over and meet Lady K's bus as Texter will be at the dentist. Then it's off to the mall and Starbucks for Happy Hour so Savvy and I can try the two new drinks they have come out with Matcha Pineapple and Golden Ginger, both of which are iced drinks and right up our alley I think.

So Spring is Springing and I am climbing out of the winter hole and ready to fly!




Comments

Popular Posts