Positive Focus Thursday - Sanity in a Time of Uncertainty

Boy!

What a time we are living in. 

Some microscopic 'thing' is bringing the world to it's knees. Schools are shut down indefinitely. As are the libraries. Restaurants, sporting events - any gathering of more than 50 people are closed. Starbucks, a place to meet, work, unwind, are strictly pick-up or drive through at the present time. 

And if all the experts are correct, then I am in that group at greater risk. I also work at a grocery store. A place where people are flocking like crazy. The amount of business my one store has had over the past week is just crazy.

Shelves are cleared out the minute stock is loaded onto them. This is what the store has been looking like for the past week.







So how I am planning to handle this virus and the next few weeks or months?



The first thing I can do is to monitor my health. While I am 62, my mind still thinks I'm in my 30's. So I need to watch out for the body.

Savvy is cautioning me to not over do the hours at work. Which I am trying to do. But it's hard when there is such a need to work with the customers.

Of course, being at the store does mean I do have an 'in' when it comes to getting food and supplies. I have stocked up on food, including fruit.


With Savvy and I both out in public 40 hours a week, we do need to be sure we are eating well and not just eating junk foods.

 And when we have the time to actually sit and enjoy a meal, make it nice.


Another thing I am watching out for is trying to 'do it all' instead of relaxing and resting when I can.

There is so much 'information' out there about this virus - some of it good - a lot of it misinformation. And if I listened to all of it, not only would I be glued to my computer all day, but it would drive me crazy. What do I believe? Who do I believe? 

I am trying to find the line between staying informed and up-to-date and disregarding all the rest. I can't make myself crazy by attempting to absorb all of the data out there.

And there is the new phrase, 'social distancing' which is being used (and over-used). Personally, I have always practiced social distancing, so to continue is not an issue. While I did have a momentary panic attack when I saw our libraries where closing and I ran out and grabbed books, I understand the reasoning behind it. 

However, I work at a grocery store. That's stuffed with people. It's hard to 'social distance' myself all the time. Hopefully, in the next few days the panic of stockpiling will calm down and it will become calmer. 

But I don't want to distance myself so far from people I become closed off to those less fortunate than myself. While the panic has been irritating at times, I need to 'roll with the punches' and lend a hand where I can.

At the present time Lady K is in South Carolina with her dad. With school being cancelled for two weeks, he is caring for her until the 29th when I go back down to pick her up. I have a feeling schools will be cancelled for a bit longer if other states are anything to go by. And with so much outside the house has been cancelled, I will need to help Texter keep her entertained with no school. Lady K loves her school!

There is a positive or two in the current situation. With stores closing down or decreasing hours, I can't go out and spend money. Automatic savings!

So my plan...

  • Listen to my body
  • Eating sensibility with healthy meals
  • Rest and relax, no overdoing it
  • Stay informed, but not over-informed
  • Be empathetic to others
  • And laugh a lot!


For now, here in North Carolina, we are in the middle of the two weeks of shutdowns for schools. But we are seeing more and more places and things being cancelled or reducing hours for the next few weeks. 

These are interesting times and I will continue to try and maintain a cool head. Until I run out of my stash of chocolate!



Comments

Popular Posts