Whatever Thursday - My First CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) Box

I have mentioned Bush-n-Vine Farm many times before. 

They are my go-to for u-pick strawberries, blueberries and buying farm fresh produce. Not to mention their homemade ice cream and slushies and blendies.

This year I decided I would do something I have been wanting to do for several years now. I subscribed to their CSA program for Spring I and Spring II (so far). This gives me a box of home grown fruits and vegetables which are seasonal to my area, once a week.

I picked up my first box this past Wednesday afternoon. And enjoyed a blendie at the same time!

However, I was so excited about it, I forgot to take pictures when I got home of the box and it's contents. Hopefully, I'll remember next week.

But here is their picture of the contents of the box.

Photo courtesy of Bush-n-Vine Farms

So this is the contents of my first box. 

First off, my box is an 'extra small', meant for 1-2 people for the week. Looking at the box, I find the amount acceptable.

The container with strawberries was about 1/2 a pint or about half the size of a box you would buy at the grocery store. Luckily, I went with the intention of buying more strawberries anyway. But the amount would be enough for a smoothie or slicing and toping angel food cake perhaps. 

I got 4-5 medium size sweet potatoes, which will be side dishes for me this coming week. 

One thing I found interesting was the cabbage is a savoy-type cabbage and a nice, small head. Just enough to chop up for egg rolls!

I've never used bok choy before. But I did a little research and have a chicken with Bok Choy in garlic sauce recipe I'll try. 

The rest of the greens will become a salad to have with my sweet potatoes.

There!

My menu for the week is done!

Hopefully, I remember to take pictures next week and pictures of the food as I make it. But these days not promising much.









Comments

Popular Posts