Seedy Saturday - Growth!

I joined and bought seeds, tomato ones, from Seedlinked in February. I purchased all three of the 'collections' curated by NCTomatoMan.

They were planted, only 3 or 4 seeds each, into milk jugs on February 19. It has taken about a month, but they slowly germinating.













































On the 9th of March I planted a traditional seed tray, but left it outside since the temperatures are warming up a bit. So a semi-winter sow?  

Since my tomatoes hadn't germinated yet, I replanted seeds. Might be giving away some plants! Especially if I visit NCTomatoMan in May and get some of his seedlings.


Starting at the bottom of the picture, the tomatoes take up the first two rows. A couple of the cells are showing the seeds starting to peek out.

Rows 3 and 4 contain Unwins Dahlia Mix. I grew a Dahlia from a tuber last year and am interested in growing some from seed. 

Row 5 is White Borage and Row 6 is Calendula. If I am correct, the calendula is from seeds I sent to Montana last year and were harvested and sent back to me this year. 

Row 7 and 8 are Giant Double Violet Queen Zinnia. They were the first to pop up. 

Row 9 is Tiny Poppies and Row 10 is Globe flower, sent to me from Montana. 

The Tom Thumb Peas and Sweet Peas and some lettuce have survived transplanting and starting to grow nicely.


Rather than going pot by pot, here is an overview of how the winter sowing is going.


This isn't everything, but most of it. I am pleased with how this 'winter sowing' actually works and the fact I don't have to use space inside the house for it.

As you can see, there are a few things which need to start being transplanted into my containers. I will be using the buckets our flowers at work are transported in. They are basically 5 gallon containers and will be easy to move and can contain several smaller plants (like flowers) to a tomato or pepper. 

Anyway, last week the temperatures were spring-like and this past week it has been cloudy, cooler and rainy. But things are just chugging along. 

I can't wait until summer is here and everything is in pots and growing!








Comments

Popular Posts