Food and Fiber Friday - January 'Eat From My Pantry' Update and February Plans



And how did January go on my 'eat from my pantry' self-challenge?

Pretty good. 

Sorta.

I had hoped I could keep my spending on groceries to under $300 for the month. Welllllll....

That didn't happen. And when I added up my grocery spending in January, my teeth dropped! Almost $700!  

Picking my teeth up, I realized a few of things about my January spending.

  • I include dog food and cat food and kitty in my grocery total and I did have to purchase more cat food and litter.
  • There were 2 times I ate out with Lady K during January
  • The BIG spending was two trips to Costco with Texter. And we were 'sharing' items, so the bulk of my spending was for stock-ups for both Texter and myself.

But NO stock-ups in February (fingers crossed)! 

I am continuing my 'eat from my pantry' self-challenge in February.

And to really super-charge that plan, February will also be 'Air-Fryer February'. Actually, it will be Ninja Foodi February. I have it, but don't use it to it's full capacity. In fact, I hardly use it at all. 

As shown above, I did try French Toast in the air fryer last week. I was really pleased with how it turned out. 

Sunday, a 10.5 pound pork shoulder butt went into the slow cooker (wouldn't fit in the Foodi) along with a jar of Smithfield BBQ sauce. I was amazed when I took it out of the cooker how much in BBQ it made. From 10.5 pounds, it cooked down to be about 5 pounds of BBQ once I removed any fat not rendered out and the bone. So you lose about half the weigh during cooking. Plus, part of it will go to Savvy. 

And I am really proud of this...




My freezer inventory!

I had a list of stuff in the freezer on a sheet of notebook paper. But I didn't keep it up and it was really hard for me to utilize. I pulled everything out of the freezer and put the items on sticky notes. 

If the item in the freezer had a 'kit' on the pantry shelf, I made that note on it. And if there were multiples of an item, I wrote in the number I had so I could cross off use. This way, I can come in and pull a sticky note and have that meal to fix out of the freezer. With the amount of food in the freezer, I shouldn't have an issue with only buying items like milk and eggs and buns. 

My goal is to stay under $100 in groceries for February. I will not count the outing to the O'Henry Hotel for high tea with Savvy later in the month. 

Now to find more ways to use the Ninja Foodi!






 

Comments

Popular Posts