Writing Wednesday - January Recap



So...

Am I where I wanted to be on my novel writing?

No.

But have I been writing?

Yes.

I decided to really keep a record of my writing word count for 2022. So I created a simple spread sheet to record my novel writing and my post writing and the total word count.

While I am a bit disappointed in my progress on my novel writing, at almost 13,000 words for the month, I'm not too upset with the amount I have written. Plus, I am finally admitting to (or accepting) the fact I write a lot in my head before I commit words to paper - or computer. I am even more accepting of my method for novel writing when I listened to Brandon Sanderson talk about his 'mental' writing. My main issue with what I am working on is I originally thought I would have a trilogy out of it.

Then...

When I started doing more detailed outlines of each of the three stories of the main characters, I realized one, and she is the main character, really didn't have enough going on to devote an entire book to her. So I am rethinking of making the book into one large book. Now I have to weave the outlines together into one timeline in one book. So a bit of mental 'work'.

But I have been churning out a fair amount of post writing in January. In fact, 24 days out of 31, I had a post. I'm happy with that. I would like to be able to say I get a full month of posts written on a consistent basis. What helps is when I sit down and do a 'batch' writing for posts. I would like to get where I can get a week's worth of posts written at one time. 

However, February is going to be 'interesting', mainly because of work. And weather. 

I am working out in the yard periodically - between 'winter events'. The weather has been crazy - 4 winter weather events in 3 weeks. This is so odd considering we normally get 1 event every few years. Not sure what this bodes for the summer.

And because there have been some vacations in to-go at work, I was filling in there. So my 3 days off a week has dropped back to only 2 days off. Sigh. February doesn't look much better as we have Super Bowl Sunday, which will mean a lot of fruit and veggie trays and bowls. And that is followed the next day by Valentine's Day! Crazy weekend ahead.

Then the following weekend, my lead is taking a long-weekend (well deserved) and I will again be only 2 days off that week. 

But words are coming! Slowly, but surely.

 

Comments

Popular Posts