Seedy Saturday - Potting Up and New Seeds



Since I hate doing dishes, it seemed the right thing to do - pot up seedlings rather than do the dishes! My Cactus Flower Dahlias, Queen Lilac Rose Hollyhocks and Borage got put into bigger pots. And then I seeded my Cactus Flower Calendula, Jazzy Red Zinnia and Spider Flower mix. They are starting to germinate now. 





I moved my orchids to the kitchen table and set the flats of potted up seedlings in the window. It is a south facing window, so they should get a lot of sun. However, on Friday, they spent the day on the front porch. It was in the low 60's, but cloudy and drizzly. They seemed to enjoy it.

The Broccoli Rabe has been sitting outside for the past few days on the front porch. In fact, last night I just left them there. They are really ready to be transplanted, but I need to let the soil dry a bit and figure out a bit of 'keep him out of the 4x4 bed' fencing. 




And if these are not enough...




I received 15 packets of tomato seeds from NCTomatoMan this past week. Counting up all my tomato seeds, I have 45 different varieties. I am going to try and not grow all 45 varieties, because I want a couple of each plant. But I will cut down on the number of cherry tomato plants. 

The seeds I received in the mail are mainly from crosses he did last year. So there will be some notes being made on how they grow and taste during the coming summer. I really want to can or freeze a lot of tomatoes next summer. Plus maybe try dehydrating some for 'sun-dried' tomatoes.

But this will be the first year in decades I will be planting tomatoes in the ground. Nothing has grown in my yard (garden-wise) for several years. And in my back yard, I have what seems like a nice soil composition. I will be composting around them through the growing season with grass clippings from my yard and my neighbors yard to help boost the plants. 

In addition, one of the seedlings I have is comfrey. So 'comfrey tree' will be made to fertilize the garden with. 

Next BIG thing will have to be some fencing to keep Slider, aka Big Foot, out of the garden, at least until they get some size on them. 

Temperatures have dropped again today and will be in the high 40's and low 50's for the coming week. So hopefully on my days off next week I will get some 'clean-up' done and measurements made in order to get a better idea of the amount of fencing I will need. 

In the next couple of weeks, I'll start up with the tomato and pepper seedlings. But in order to do that, I really need to get another LED shop light and set them upstairs. Plus some potting soil to start the seedlings in. 

Meanwhile, I'll do some winter sowing, mainly flowers.

Just a note - I did FINALLY do the dishes!





 

Comments

Popular Posts