Seedy Saturday - Home and Seedling Update

 Back on the 16th of February I sowed my tomatoes and peppers, along with several flowers and herbs. 




And they are coming along nicely. Part of the sowing were seeds I had saved and they seem to be coming up nicely, so that's encouraging. I know I can more forward with saving more seeds in the coming year. The only thing is I need to remember not to rely on my memory and label items as soon as I harvest them for the seeds. 

Yes, I will have WAY too much for my personal use. I have a 'plan' to have a plant sale, mainly with tomatoes and peppers. 

However...

From the first round of sowing, I had three comfrey seedlings. I want to plant comfrey in the yard and harvest the leaves to make fertilizer. I repotted them into a larger pot and moved them to the table upstairs. And the cats ate them. Right down to the soil top. F***ing cats! So more comfrey has been sowed and I have put a 'fence' around the table top to keep them out, especially since they nibbled on my hollyhocks.

While I was in the plant mode, I FINALLY bought some plant hooks. 

I had an epiphany and realized I could put hooks on the pseudo-arch between the living room and the kitchen. 




With high ceilings, I can hang the plants and they aren't in the way walking between the rooms. I really like the look and can't wait for them to really start growing long. At that point I will have to move these plants elsewhere and move shorter plants into their slot. 

And because I could set older seedlings outside (most of the time) and have the table upstairs for them, I returned my orchids to the kitchen window.




I love the look with the sun coming through the window!

There will be more hooks installed over the kitchen sink in the coming weeks. But I want hooks which stick out a little bit and I haven't made it to Lowe's yet. 

I did unearth a couple of plant hangers I had purchased with a box of 'stuff' a couple of years ago. And I installed them on the bump-out in my bedroom - my faux-column.




Between the plants now getting hung up around the house and seedlings growing, I am in plant heaven these days. And with being in a 'winter-slump', it's really nice to feel good about how the green, growing things are going. 

I going 'green'!









Comments

Popular Posts