Seedy Saturday - More Seed Starting and Window Rearrangement




I had pulled off all the plants, mainly my orchids, off the shelf in the kitchen and set two flats of baby plants. Now that the weather is getting a bit warmer during the day, the flats are going on the porch to get them use to a little sun and being outside. At night, if it looks like it will get too cool, I'll set them on the kitchen table. 

Anyway, I have a lovely pink amaryllis which is all fluffy and frilly. Plus 3 white orchids with purple spots. One is somewhere else, but two are on the shelf. But this is primarily the orchid shelf now. And there are hanging plants which will (hopefully) have plant hooks over the window rather than hanging on the window blinds sometime in the near future. 

Of course, once summer comes, everything will go out onto the porch for the summer. Lucky plants, they have a summer home and a winter home.

I have also gone 'seed starting' crazy!





I have started tomatoes and peppers and more flowers. Many, many tomatoes and peppers and thinking about sowing more. I am really thinking about having a plant sale in the spring/early summer for a few extra bucks. I will have to put up some fencing in the yard to keep Slider out of the areas where I am planting things. 

Yep, Slider is part beaver. He loves wood! Therefore, he is prone to pull up small shrubs I have planted. I have lost a little hydrangea and a Carolina Sweetshrub to him. I need to make a cage to put around the plant until it grows some. I also need to put up a low 'fence' on my flower beds to keep his big feet out of. 

Oh, the joys of having a large dog!

Anyway, I started to 50 cell trays of veggies and flowers on Wednesday afternoon. I intensively planted the tomatoes and peppers (like 10 per cell and I could have put more in there). Less intensive on the flowers. So I am torn about starting more tomatoes and peppers since what I have are mainly heirloom and unusual varieties you won't get at a big box store. Still thinking about it - we'll see what happens. 

But...

In three days, the Pink Señorita Zinnia is already germinating. Think this one will be on the top of my list to plant more of. 






The picture above is from Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Company where I bought my seeds. But who wouldn't want a frilly huge zinnia? I will be so excited to see them in my garden this summer. 

But now, I'm off to bake a cake and bake bread with Lady K. I am teaching her to cook and that's what she wanted to cook this weekend. Of course, there will be some seed sowing in there too.

Comments

Popular Posts