Positive Focus Sunday - Riverbanks Zoo and Botanical Gardens

I am now officially a 'senior citizen' as of last Friday. I do feel better about it since more than one person has remarked I don't look my age. Which may also mean I look older?

Anyway...





Since Texter and Mr. Cobra had to go out of town for the weekend, Lady K graciously spent the weekend with me and decided Riverbanks Zoo and Botanical Gardens would make for a good outing for my birthday. 

Based on a recommendation from a friend, we parked on the garden side of the complex and walked thru the garden briefly to take the tram over to the zoo. Lady K likes gardens and plants and is becoming a knowledgeable garden visitor with me. So much fun.




After the tram dropped us off at the zoo entrance from the garden, you walk across a bridge over the river. 





After entering the zoo, our first stop was to feed the lorikeets. Lady K was not wild about them landing on her to feed. I, on the other hand, was 'covered in birds' and loved every minute of it. 






Lady K wanted to do the rope experience. In the past when she visited the zoo, she was considered too young to do it. Since I was holding onto our drinks, I told her she was on her own. Plus, a very nice gentleman gave us a wristband for her, so this was free for her to attempt.







I love the flamingos, but she didn't like going into the bird experience. It does have an 'odor' due to the penguins. 




However, she didn't mind modeling for pictures on the walk through the zoo. She is definitely not camera shy on this trip.




The zoo is fairly small, especially compared to the North Carolina Zoo, but it was an enjoyable few hours wandering around and discussing the animals and life in general.

Then we caught the tram back over to the garden area where we were parked (after a stop at the gift shop and a few purchases).




I have seeds to grow Sea Oats, hopefully. I love to hear the wind through them. 





The water feature in the garden was fantastic. We paused to talk to a group of ladies who were promoting the local Master Gardener program. Lady K was impressed when I told her I wanted to become a 'master gardener' and was thinking about joining the program in my county next year. 




And while I love the flowers and seed pods of the Datura, I don't want to risk them in my yard as they are poisonous. So I will admire them from afar. Mainly because so much in my yard are plants which you can eat, I don't want someone 'sampling' by accident.




After a nice few hours, we made our way back to the car and the drive home. It is about 1.5 hours away from my house, so not a bad day trip destination. Some of us enjoyed the ride back more than the driver (me).




Note: My nap occurred immediately upon arrival at home! Being a senior citizen has its advantages!















Comments

Popular Posts