Week in Review - January 9 - 15, 2023



Yep...

Could this be considered child abuse? Taking your grandchild to a store filled with sugar? Let me say my wallet was lightened a bit after this visit to the Cotton Candy Factory in Belmont on Saturday when I picked her up after work. 






However, since the store is run by persons with disabilities, The Holy Angels, I felt I was contributing to a good cause also. And if you can walk into this bright and colorful store and be grumpy, well, sorry, I can't help you. 

Then just a few steps down the street is Twisted Sugar, where there are some great soda combinations and gourmet cookies. Lady K was filling up on sugar and just wanted water. I got a cookie to take home with me. 

Earlier in the week...

I'm back in school - sort of. I'm auditing my one free class a semester I can take now that I am 65. This semester I was lucky enough to find room in 'China Through Western Eyes'. After two classes, I am so enjoying this class. The instructor is awesome and so interesting. It's going to be a fun semester.

And one of the best things?






The student union is right across the street from the building where my class is. This means I can go to the Starbucks! It is also somewhere I can pick up some lunch if I didn't bring anything for lunch. Or I can eat my lunch there. And since where I park allows me to walk right beside the botanical gardens. Could life be any better?

Then on Friday, on my way to pick up Lady K for the weekend, I FINALLY stopped at one of the restaurants which are on my way. This one is Eagle's Nest Restaurant in Clover, South Carolina. The parking lot is always full every time I go by unless the place is closed!





I had their Grill Cheese Burger. It's a hamburger on a buttery toast 'bun'. And the hamburger patties are handmade! It is so good. The staff hustles, but are really friendly and attentive. It's basically a hamburger and sandwich eatery, but I know I will be making an effort to go pick up Lady K earlier so I can drop in for lunch on my way. 

And since I was running early, I stopped at PoDunk Holler Antiques in Little Mountain, South Carolina. I hadn't stopped here before, despite going by them every time I drive down to get her. Luckily I did because I found a 'fur' for her to replace the 'weasels' torn up my Noel a few years ago. It is going into a box where I am gathering presents for Christmas and birthdays this year. 

Also on the way down to pick up Lady K, I made a quick detour to downtown York, South Carolina. There is a used book store there I wanted to check out. Not really all that great, but nice to know it's there. However, just up the street is Penee Holistic Spa. Outside her door there was a candle burning. I didn't know there was such a thing as a body lotion candle! OMG! 

Coming back to the spa for a candle making experience is definitely on my radar to do in the next couple of months. The lotion goes on a bit 'thick' feeling, but it is pleasantly warm and when it starts soaking in it is heavenly. I will confess that I took a container with some lotion I had which is really hard and stuck it in the microwave for a few seconds to start melting it and used it on my feet. 

I sowed two flats of seeds. This is the first of 4 rounds of seed sowings based on how long before the last frost date. It was not the biggest of the sowings which will take place in February. I really need to get my 'seed room' set up before then. I want to not only hang a light in there, but also put a small fan in there to help toughen up the seedlings. 

So this past week has been filled with activities. And based on something Mr. Cobra and Texter gave me I had an idea for a book - a cozy mystery. Which I want to write with my Montana pals. So will see where that leads. 

This coming week...

  • Lots of reading for class. And I have 3 books on Chinese mythology coming in the next few days. Can't wait.
  • An extra day with Lady K as she is out of school on Monday and I made arrangements to take her back on Monday afternoon.
  • My first meeting of the Rosemary and Thyme Herb Society as secretary on Saturday.
  • Some work on the upstairs to reorganize and clear off the table on the landing to put bigger seedlings.

But for now, it's more coffee and chilling out with Lady K.





 

Comments

Popular Posts