Food and Fiber Friday - Reading and Writing Station(s)

Humor me, while technically not about food or fibers, you could possibly stretch 'fibers' to include a bit of decorating couldn't you?

Anyway...

Julia Cameron, the author who is famous for creating the practice of 'morning pages' has a new book out. Entitled Write for Life, once again it is a weekly course book set up to bring more writing into your life. In the section for the first week, she talks about establishing 'writing stations' around your home and even outside your home. She has several stations in her home where different types of writing are practiced. 

Most of my writing is done at my roll top desk (which I adore). But the premise is interesting, especially since I journal and make notes by hand. I really enjoy writing by hand.

Plus I want to encourage myself to read more and 'zone out' less. So many of the BookTubers I follow have 'reading nooks' where they will film reading sprints or vlogs. In the spirit of FOMO (fear of missing out), I need a reading nook. Most of my reading is done on my bed before bedtime or just in bed period. And that leads to reading a bit and then drifting off to sleep.

My living room is great as a 'station' for both for reading and writing. I have a large couch and my armchair and ottoman is comfy. Plus, with the advent of my oriental rug, it really has a vibe I like.

Ok, so desk and living room as stations for writing and reading.

What next?




At the top of my stairs I have a 'landing' before going into the bedroom area. For almost two years now it has been a dumpsite for stuff. I had set up a long table there last spring to hold seedlings and when the table was emptied it became a place to pile stuff.

This past weekend, since I was upstairs with Lady K placing some of her stuff in the room (which needs to be sorted and organized still), I decided WTF! And cleaned off the landing and took one of the rugs upstairs. It is a bit big for the area, but I'll make it work for now until I get another rug (maybe).

The landing does have a small window which lets in light. But after measuring the chaise lounge in my bedroom which was nothing other than a place to pile stuff (I'm great at piling stuff up), it was time to move the chaise upstairs. With Texter and Mr. Cobra stopping by, I had people to assist in getting it up the stairs.

One bad thing about a chaise lounge is it pretty much can only fit in an area one way. Plus being on a landing, it pretty much limits how I can place it. But I got it to work with items I had on hand. 

So by Monday morning (started Sunday afternoon moving furniture up there)...






I have to say I am very pleased with the outcome. It hits my Bohemian vibe just right! I plan on changing up the artwork every now and then. and I have enough room I can put a small heater up there for the cooler months (heating and cooling isn't the best up there). And a fan for summer. 

Since the cats are fed on the landing (to keep the food away from a glutton Ruby - I have a baby gate at the 'turn' in the stairs - they seem to approve the addition of the chaise. The plants are good for less light areas, which this will be. 

Some of the better things about this area is (1) it will have me walking up and down some very steep stairs a couple times a day and (2) will spur me on in organizing the bedroom in there. I will move one of the Echo Dots I have into my nook. That way I can play calming and relaxing music while I read or write or nap.

However, someone still seems to prefer my bed...














Comments

Popular Posts