Positive Focus Thursday - Clean(er) Eating

So after all my doctor's appointments last week and the 'in-your-face' realization I need to drop about 30 pounds (minimum), I have been attempting to embrace the new facts of life and try some cleaner, less sugar eating.  

And since I know my picture is featured on 5 pound bags of sugar, cutting it out of my life is really, really tough. But I am trying.

Last week I did try something new and something I would NEVER have expected to try...Beyond Burger!


Texter and I were talking about food and the subject of Beyond Burger came up and to my surprise she had tried them...willingly...and liked them. And this is from someone who is pickier than I am about what she likes to eat.

Since I was staying with her for a couple of days and Food Lion carries them, we bought a pack so I could try them. She was more than willing to have them again. 

I do have to say when you open the package, there is a 'bean' smell, not unpleasant, but definitely different. We sprinkled them with Montreal Steak Seasoning and cooked them in a skillet on the stove.

It doesn't take long for them to cook and then they were slapped on a hamburger bun, along with cheese, tomato slice and ketchup (for me). 

With a deep breath, I bit into my 'burger'.

Surprise! It will never be that juicy, drippy burger. However, it wasn't bad. I actually liked it and ate the whole thing!

Will I switch from traditional burgers? No. The price for 2 of the Beyond Burger patties was about $6, a little expensive. Of course, the way the price of beef is going these days, they may become very reasonable. 

But will I keep an eye out for when they are discounted? You bet your boots!

Another thing I have tried recently, this time with Savvy, is Riced Cauliflower.


Now I don't care for cauliflower. I'll eat a tiny bit raw, but cooked cauliflower, nope. But we wanted to give it a try, mainly to say we did.

Once again, it wasn't half bad. Will I give up my rice and gravy? Nope. But I am willing to try it again. In fact, I have it on my menu plan to serve with Pepper Steak instead of rice. 

Black Beans!

I tried black beans for the first time (I know, shoot me).

I was making pork carnitas nachos and Savvy said we needed refried beans. I suggested we give black beans a try instead - less fat. So we did.  I drained and rinsed the black beans and sprinkled them over the nachos. And didn't miss the refried beans at all.

Then at work this past week I was talking to my manager and discovered she was vegan. Which sent me on a vegan 'dessert' recipe search. I found one to try and...

Well, that story will be saved for another day.


Comments

Popular Posts