Food and Fun Friday - Lasagna Soup!

One of the uses Savvy and I make of social media is to tag each other in recipes we might be interested in trying. Mainly to bring something new and different into our menu planning. That was the case with Lasagna Soup.


What she tagged me in was a TikTok video and I watched it and 'winged' it from there to make my shopping list. And since we were both on yesterday, I decided to fix it for dinner. After looking at several actual recipes, I made up my own rendition of the recipe.

Lasagna Soup

  • 3/4 pound each of ground beef and mild Italian sausage
  • 1 jar spaghetti sauce
  • 32 ounce box of chicken broth
  • 1 can beef broth
  • 1 15 ounce can of petite diced tomatoes
  • Knorr Tomato Bouillon (just about 1 heaping tablespoon)
  • Italian seasoning (some - to taste)
  • Salt - about 1 teaspoon
  • 1/2 box lasagna noodles, broken up
  • 15 ounce container of ricotta cheese
  • 1 8 ounce block of mozzarella cheese - grated
  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream

Browned the meat. Actually I had a pound of each, but I pulled some out in order Noel could have some 'goodies' with her bowl of food over the next couple of days. I added in everything except the dairy items and let it simmer for a bit. I did only add about 1/2 of the box of chicken broth/stock. However, when I went to reheat for dinner, it had thickened, so I added more broth in order to make it more 'soupy'.

I grated the mozzarella cheese and mixed it together with the container of ricotta cheese. Then I added about 3/4 of the mixture to the soup with the cup of heavy whipping cream. The rest of the cheese mixture was used to add to the bowl of soup when served, a large spoonful in each bowl.

Letting the whole thing simmer for about 30 minutes, it was time for a 'taste'. After all, it was lunch time. And boy, was it good!

Since it was Thursday, it was also Dungeons and Dragons for Savvy and Mr. Arizona with another couple. I offered up my soup as their dinner since they were all meeting up much earlier in the evening than they normally do. As of this morning, there is NO SOUP LEFT!

I had picked up a small loaf of Asiago Cheese Bread and Rosemary/Olive Oil Bread to turn into garlic bread. None of that left either. 

According to Savvy as I wandered through the living room Thursday evening, Mr. Arizona, who normally doesn't partake of our dinners, had two bowls of it! 

While I like lasagna, I find it a bit 'heavy' as a meal. This is a trifle lighter than a plate of lasagna, but with the same taste. 

Definitely a recipe which will be repeated in the future.




Comments

Popular Posts