Writing Wednesday - Publish and Thrive!

I have on my list of '101 Things' to take a writing class or course. And for several years now I have been listening to, following, and using some of Sarra Cannon's techniques for my planning and writing. So I took the plunge and sign up for her Publish and Thrive course which started on Monday. 



Before the class started we were asked to fill out a 'your best writing life' workbook. Most of the questions were about why you were writing and what you wanted out of your writing life. It was an interesting couple of hours, reflecting on my real motivation for wanting to write and publish a book.

Now a note...

I haven't actually finished a book yet. 

I am still in what Brandon Sanderson refers to as his 'vomit' draft. A draft of the book where he throws out everything that's in his head about the book.

My outline is pretty detailed and I am dumping everything about each scene in the chapter. My issue is I have to stop myself from rewriting Chapter 1 for the 10,000th time! I am forcing myself not to edit as I write this first draft. I will then go back and rewrite each chapter, cleaning it up, doing some preliminary editing. 

But back to the course...


The first week is more of an overview of different areas you have to think about as a self-publishing author when you get ready to actually send your book into the world. Things like branding, cover art, editing and editors, among other things. 

I am about halfway through the several hours of videos on each topic. Watching them and taking this course has also filled another one of my '101 Things' which is learning to use and using my iPad for notes. I have a notebook set up in Goodnotes where I am putting the workbooks from the class and adding my notes as I go through the workbook and the videos. 

There is also a 2-hour Q&A on the private Facebook group for the class on Thursdays. Luckily, this Thursday I will be off work and be able to participate. 

This is just the first week of a four week class and I am really excited and inspired to work on The Queen's Sanctuary. I have already been planning on finish the first book, have the second one in the series almost done and starting on book three so I can release within a few months of each other. 

I will keep you posted on this exciting venture!







Comments

Popular Posts