Seedy Saturday - What's Blooming?



It's mid-November and things are still blooming and sprouting in my house.

The 'holiday' cactus which I moved in about a month ago from house, are all budded up and ready to flower. It's so exciting. One day, nothing. The next day, tiny buds. Then flowers opening up.

And if that's not enough for me - it's not - there are some things I wanted to start early and slowly pot them up into larger pots over the winter. This way, come spring, they will be a descent size to plant outside.

The dahlias are going crazy. I have a dozen or so, and they will be placed in a couple of larger pots until they are ready to move outside. I never thought I would really like them, but they have changed my mind. I do have some outside from this summer still in the ground. I think they will be fine outside over the winter.

I also have about 10 asparagus seedlings. They look so tiny and skinny. I know I could buy crowns and plant them out next spring, with being able to get asparagus in the next year. But for $5 I get more plants and it will only take me an extra year to get them to harvesting size. 

Also, there are about 50 butterfly bushes. Sigh...

The seeds are like the tip of a pin and the little envelope slipped when I was planting them. I need about a dozen to plant all the way across the front of the yard. I'll have enough to need to find homes for them in the spring. But this way, hopefully, I can at least get them to where I can see the color they will be as they are a mix. Since they are supposed to be cut back in the winter every year, they grow quickly. I should be able to have flowers this summer.

I 'think' there might be a witch hazel, green hummingbird plant and a sea oat. I am a bit disappointed with the sea oats. This is the second time I have tried planting them and nothing happened the first time. So fingers are crossed this time around. 

Plus I think I also have a Snow Queen Oakleaf Hydrangea sprouting. Once again, fingers crossed. 

And I am loving my makeshift 'greenhouse'. This way the cats stay out of it and I can heat the box. I will be reorganizing the closet soon and this flat and some more will be going in there. The 'real' sprouting will start taking place in January.

But for now, I'm happy. Now if the 3 types of lavender which are chilling in the fridge will start sprouting. 

 

Comments

Popular Posts