Seedy Saturday - Everything's Coming Up Roses - Or Not!



As of last Wednesday, I had 12 asparagus babies and a load of dahlias and a ton of butterfly bushes up and going. Hopefully, by today, I will have removed the dahlias into a larger pot for overwintering. And that I have reorganized the closet in order to convert it to a 'greenhouse' for overwintering baby plants and starting seeds until this spring. Will have to see how that plan goes.

Anyway...

I am hoping the one tiny green spot is see on the second row is a Jack-in-the-Pulpit coming up. And on the next row, a Witch Hazel. However, it might be something else which 'jumped' into the space. I may have a Cardinal Flower starting too. Things are really dicey in the majority of this planting.

However...




This is a bag of organic ginger I brought home from work they were going to throw out. The hands of ginger had some nice 'eyes' on them, so I threw them in a bag and just set them in the kitchen on a shelf. 

Well...

They WERE nice eyes and they are sprouting. Hopefully, by the time this post is out, they are in a large container where I will keep them inside until it is warm enough to plant them outside by my herb garden. I want to really concentrate on keeping my herbs, and the like, in my 4x4 beds in the front yard. Plus there will be some flowers, mostly ones which should be self-seeding from planting over the past couple of years - like my zinnias.

I have a little bag of 13 'odd' seeds. Odd, as in they are things most people wouldn't have on their to-grow list. I'll keep you appraised on what and how they are doing, because some of them take some effort to get them going.

My three types of lavender have been in the fridge in a damp paper towel for a month now. I really don't see much 'sprouting' taking place. I don't know if I should take them out of the fridge and put them somewhere warm now. Research is needed.

Also on my early winter to-do list is to start some sweet pea flowers in pots outside to transplant in early spring. There are also some bulbs I need to get into the ground soon. I have some miscellaneous tulips and daffodils from work I am going to plant out and hope they grow this spring.

Garden notebook! 

Well, actually a binder when I can put notes and diagrams of the garden and hopefully keep better notes for what, when, how things are going. There will be a second binder I will have (based on an inside source) for my Master Gardener course. I'm getting a bit better each year about keeping notes and keeping them together in one spot.

But for now, there will be a little seed sowing taking place each month to go into my closet greenhouse!



 

Comments

Popular Posts