Writing Wednesday - I Won NaNoWriMo 2022!



With two days to go, I landed at 50,053 words on my memoir/cookbook, If You Cook, You Don't Do the Dishes.

Ok, true confession time. 

Part of the writing will not be for public reading. There are some things, those family secrets no one talks about, I don't feel comfortable about sharing with the world. But I felt the girls needed to know down the road. It might help make things a bit more understandable about things which have gone before.

And because it was 'writing', I also include some of the word count from blog posts this month. Also include was a list of 'to-do's' and 'ideas' for 2023. Hey, it's all writing, isn't it?

While working on this book, I typed without making chapters or any kind of organization or division to the recipes and memories. So at 169 pages when I print it all out to start the rewrite in January, I am well pleased with what I have accomplished.

Also, as part of the editing, I will be making some of the recipes which I haven't tasted in years. Ok, decades! I was surprised about all the recipes from the 1960's and 1970's which brought back some fond memories. Of course, some of the recipes have been handed down from grandparents, which means we are now talking about recipes which may well be over 100 years old!

I do have to laugh at all the punch and pound cake recipes I have in my possession. It's going to be a fun time next year, testing out the recipes to be sure I have them down correctly. It's a tough job, but a necessary one. 

But for now, I have made a back-up copy of my draft. I have put all my reference recipes in one big binder. And they will sit until mid-January probably. My brain needs a rest from this so I can start fresh on the second draft of the book.

Friends have volunteered to be beta readers and I hope to have this in their hands in March (maybe) to get their input. Co-workers (as they are nearby) will be getting the extra food as I can't eat everything I'll be testing myself. 

For now however, I HAVE to clean my house!

 

Comments

Popular Posts