Positive Focus Sunday - The Best Laid Plans...

I had my days off, Friday and Saturday, all planned out.

Friday was 'Clean this house up before I evict myself!'. 

After 30 days of NaNoWriMo, I had been doing good to sweep and clean up the litter boxes for the cats. So I really wanted to do some deep cleaning. And I also needed/wanted to start on the closet to move seedlings into. 

That plan was moving along nicely. I had a load of laundry going. And a load of dishes in the dishwasher. So I sat down for about my third cup of coffee of the morning and started looking at Facebook Marketplace for a breather before continuing.

And there they were!

Two lovely 5x8 foot rugs - free!

I messaged the person and got an immediate response and was up and out the door to go get them. (This is about 8:30 in the morning, by the way.)

Getting to her house, it turns out their new house was ready and they were moving in and didn't need these rugs. Clean, a non-smoking, non-pet household. They weren't exactly the colors I was going for, but they would do. I was at the point Slider was housebroken and I needed something on my faux-faux laminate wood flooring.

Loading them up in the back of my car, she mentioned she had another, larger rug and gestured toward a red and cream oriental style rug. It was 8x10 and I grabbed it too. She was worried I couldn't get 3 rugs in my SUV. Silly woman!

I didn't really get to see the rugs fully when picking them up. I just wanted to grab before she changed her mind. You see, I want this BoHo, plants everywhere, style home and these would go a long way toward that idea. Plus, I had rugs on my wish list, but wasn't ready to plunk down major money for some.

Of course, once I got them home and into the house (thank you Mr. Wheelbarrow), it meant I now had to move furniture out of the living room, sweep, mop and put the rug down and move furniture back into the room. Not quite the cleaning I was anticipating (but based on the warren of dust bunnies under the couch I needed to), but that was just fine.








































The large rug fit perfectly! And is so beautiful.

Once the furniture was back in place, I sat back and enjoyed a bit of a rest and contemplated my 'new' living room.




Of course, I also had to move the plants back in. I had put them all in the bathtub for a good soak that morning as it turns out. 

So warm and inviting - at least to me. I am loving it!

Then I started looking at the room and realized out of everything in there, I had only spent about $150 on the room. I had either been gifted items, they were discards, a Goodwill purchase or from Ikea. The couch and the two bookcases are the only things I actually purchased over time!

A quick rest and then it was onto my room with the two smaller rugs.

I put one rug by my bed and was pleasantly surprised it wasn't the brown I thought it was, but rather a dark olive green in tone.




I have to say, getting up Saturday morning and stepping onto this plush rug rather than a cold floor was really nice.

The second rug I also placed in my room. Not sure if it's going to stay there as my desk chair doesn't roll well on it. But for now, my bedroom is fairly carpeted.




Once again, my BoHo-vibe is going on. Now I just need to get the nerve (or money) up to recover the chaise lounge in my room.

While the 'price' of this room is higher as I bought the bed frame and the 3 bookshelves in the room, the rest were all salvaged - including the HUGE roll-top desk. 

So while my plans for the day were disrupted, I don't mind. 




However, some thought the day was exhausting.

I figured I got about $500 in rugs on Friday morning, well worth the time and effort. 

Now to get the dishes done!






Comments

Popular Posts