Seedy Saturday - Growing and Repotting for the 2023 Garden




I have started growing plants for the 2023 Garden already. Mostly plants which take a long time to germinate. Some are ones I wanted to get started so I could grow them out to a reasonable size in order to transplant them into the garden this spring.

One of the first things I have grown out and something which was giving me a bit of anxiety is three types of lavender. 

Lady K and I love lavender and I have started seeds for a purple and a pink variety, along with one called Torch Minty Ice. The problem which was causing me some concern was how long it takes for the seeds to germinate. 

First, I had to put them on a damp paper towel and keep them in the fridge for 30-40 days for them to begin to sprout. I didn't see anything happening and took them out and laid them on top of the washing machine. Two days later, I had seeds sprouting.





The 'problem' with the sprouts on the paper towel is they are tiny! As in I had to bring to the table the pair of tweezers I use for putting stickers in my journal and planner so I could carefully pick them up and put them into the tray.

With 3 varieties of lavender and about 50 seeds for each, I put 2 seeds in each cell to grow into tiny lavender plants. When they grow to a 'reasonable' size, I will put into larger pots. By April, and probably by the time they are ready to go into the garden, I know I will be scrambling for space in the house for seedlings - but 'oh, well'!

In a tray I had started items which had a variety of things to grow into plants for spring planting, I repotted several of them. There are some things in the tray which have yet to sprout or are still little. But I did manage to repot some of the more 'important' items.






The most important of these are the Butterfly Bushes. I want to have about 10-12 to plant across the front of the yard. But because Slider and Ruby 'patrol' the front fence, I do need them to be a reasonable size and then place some wire fencing around them to protect them until they grow up enough to be able to be seen by the dogs. 

My asparagus, which the cats nibbled the tops off of, I also repotted. I was surprised by the amount of roots they had. So I should have about 6 to be able to move into the garden in spring. Then there were 3 Jack-in-the-Pulpit plants which I repotted. These will have to spend a couple of years in pots before they can go into the flower beds.

Then I have a couple of items which I am not positive they are what I think they are. I am hoping it is a Witch Hazel and a Cardinal Flower. 

The ginger was put into 2 large trays and my dahlias, which I had repotted a couple of weeks ago, are struggling from being repotted. Hopefully, they will come back soon. 

One thing I am especially proud of it my labeling!

Usually I wind up 'winging' it. 

But I bought a batch of 500 colored tags with a pen which is supposed to be good - water and sun proof. I didn't have them when planting out the mixed tray of seeds, but I did when I started repotting. So fingers crossed, this year it will be better for me identify what I have planted and put into the garden. 




I'm not sure what the tiny seedlings on the far right are exactly. I know what they 'should' be, but I think they might be seeds which got accidentally into other cells. So we will see down the road what happens. 

But right now everything is in the closet with lights turned on them where they can be protected from the cats. And I am trying to figure out what I will do with more seed starting planned for January - March. 

So for now - 

  • Finish up the seed inventory and plan what seeds need to be planted when
  • Figure out where I can put additional seed trays (it may mean putting the 'stuff' in the closet goes upstairs so I can put the trays in the closet)
  • Purchase additional lights (maybe)
  • Put a small heater in the closet for the seedlings

I'm loving it and can't wait so I can get out and start working on the beds in the yard and get some places set up for strawberries this spring and the two flower beds in front cleaned out. 

But for now, it's off to work to earn money for seeds and compost!







 

Comments

Popular Posts