Seedy Saturday - Herbs in the Closet!



Ok, I need to work less and get busy setting up the rest of the closet for seedlings. It is working really well.

 


My ginger is happily sprouting. And so are the weed seeds in the potting soil I purchased. Guess if you purchase 'less expensive' potting soil you will get lots of weeds in there. But I can't wait until the weather is warm enough to repot the ginger into pots outside. Lots and lots of yummy ginger. I may be gifting ginger to gardening buddies as I will have way too much for me to use.




At first I was a bit disappointed a lot of the lavender didn't survive the move to 'new quarters' when I moved them from the paper towel to soil. However, at the present time, I have a little over 60 seedlings which are putting on their first set of real leaves. I think that is going to be more than enough to plant out in the yard. 

What I am really looking forward to is being able to walk by where I am going to plant them and get a 'hit' of lavender. I also want to be able to harvest some of the lavender and dry it for use in sachets and other crafty projects.




The dahlias, asparagus and butterfly bush seedlings are coming along. At this point I feel I will have enough butterfly bushes for the front of the yard. Now I just have to make some cages to put around them to keep the two big-footed animals off them so they can mature.

I am also pleased that the asparagus seems to have rebounded well from the pruning the cats gave them. 

For now, I have to do the following:

  • Clean out the rest of the closet
  • Get another shop light and hang in the closet
  • Make a low bench for trays
  • Plant things which need 12 weeks before the last frost
  • Move the larger seedlings to the kitchen table when I start putting in more trays over the next couple of months

Actually, I guess 2023 will be starting out as a 'sow-sow' year!






 

Comments

Popular Posts