Bookish Thursday - September TBR Wrap-up and October TBR

Since it is September 30 today, I thought it would be the perfect day for wrapping up my September TBR list and my plans for my October TBR.

I started out the month with 11 books on my TBR list. During the month I threw in 4 additional books, bring the total to 15 books (yay! math!). Out of the 15 books, I finished 12 books, still reading 2 and haven't started 1 that was on the original list. Not too bad.

That being said, one of the best things about this past month were the number of really good books I read (or listened to). 

Anyway...

This past week I finished up the following:



Kiva has been in the worse prison in the country for ten years now. Her father had been imprisoned with her when she was seven. Upon his death, she had to stay as there was no one to claim her and she took over his roll as the prison healer. One day a new arrival comes to the prison, unconscious and she is under orders on several fronts to keep this prisoner alive - or else.

I really enjoyed the book and felt how dismal and bleak the prison was and how resigned she was to her life. My only criticism is she gets involved with an older man - also a prisoner. That grated a bit, but overall it did fit the story.

I give it 4 stars and look forward to the sequel.

The next book was a big WOW!



Set in New Zealand, Aarav's mother 'ran off' 10 years ago. Along with $250,000 dollars from his father's safe. In the meantime, Aarav has a breakout first novel which was turned into a successful movie, but he has never gotten over his mother leaving that stormy night when he was 16.

Now the car she left in has been found. Not far away with the bones of his mother in the car. She hadn't just left him after all. 

While recovering from an accident of his own, Aarav sets out to solve what actually happened that night his mother stormed off. In doing so, he uncovers a lot of secrets being kept in the cul de sac of the elite neighborhood his father's house is in.

I listened to the audio book and since Aarav is Indian, as well as his mother and father, the narrator does an excellent job of giving a bit of an accent to the reading without making it obvious. 

This is a book I was sitting in the car to finish listening to before going into work. I came fairly close to figuring out 'who-done-it', but not quite. Definitely a 5 star listen (or read).




I now have this book on my wish list and will be getting shortly, as well as checking out some of Aurora Kane's other books. This is a beautifully illustrated book full of information on plants and crystals. An excellent resource guide for my own practice. Plus it will also give me ideas and suggestions to use in my writing.

I give it 4 stars and soon a place on my bookshelf.

The three books which I didn't finish which were on my September TBR list are:

For the Wolf byHannah Whitten

Craft in the Real World by Matthew Salesses 

Fire with Fire by Destiny Soria

I still plan on finishing them - eventually. But they will be sidelined for a bit.

My October TBR list is being refined. I have a few definite, but I really need to shorten the list a bit over the next day or two. Right now it is way too long. But I am really enjoying coming up with a TBR list and sticking to it.

Stay tuned for more updates!

Comments

Popular Posts