Seedy Saturday - Orchid Update

The orchids I purchased back in May have been loving being on the front porch this summer. The nights are starting to cool off some - days too - and soon they will have to come inside. But they are doing great. I do have to say I 'lost' one, but the remainder are going crazy.

One that I am so amazed with is my little mini-cattleya orchid. I bought it with one flowering branch and another ready to bloom. 




If you look carefully, you can see another flower spike coming out! That will be 4 spikes on this little baby. And at least one of the original spikes is still adding flowers. What a tiny workhorse.


And more roots. So it's really loving its home.


And this baby has put out several new growths and a flower spike emerging. This is my Brassocatanthe Hawaiian Treat which has bloomed before and is ready to bloom again. And if I am correct, there is another flower spike emerging on the other side. Plus tons of new growth.



This is either a flower spike or another bit of new growth. But look at all those wonderful roots going crazy.


This is my Brassocattleya Yellow Bird which has what looks like flower sheaths. But they aren't very 'plump', so I'm not sure if I will actually get any blooms.


I need to go back through my notes and find out the name for this orchid again. It's one I brought from Montana which was given to me during an Orchid Society meeting. It's a 'Mexican' orchid and has been hanging in there. But now there is some new growth emerging. 


While not one of the orchids, this air plant is getting ready to bloom. 

And another 'not an orchid', but a plant which has been going crazy the past month or so, is my Star Jasmine. 


I put it into the ground this summer as it has been living in a tub for the past year or so. And it has taken off!

It barely reached the porch when I planted it in May, but now it's really grown. It is supposed to be evergreen and I can't wait until next year when it may bloom with a lot of fragrant flowers. 

My list of things to do, now that cooler weather is here, is growing daily. Right now I need to remove old crops and replant with some spinach and lettuces. And start setting up garden beds and get some stuff in the ground and mulched before it gets cold.

An update on my voodoo lily will be coming soon. It's really interesting - or at least to me. 




















Comments

Popular Posts