Food and Fiber Friday - I'm 'Jammin'


I am literally up to my ears in grapes - luscious black grapes. 

 


When offered I couldn't say no. In fact, I think I mentally screamed 'yes!'

So for most of the week I have been plucking grapes off stems and juicing them. 


So far I have 7 pints of grape jelly - in pint and half-pint jars. I have also canned 12 quarts of juice. I can't tell you how much I have consumed during this past week. It's probably a miracle I am not purple myself. Today (Friday) I will hopefully finish up the last of the grapes into juice. I need to go get more quart jars.

I have to say working with these grapes have taken me back about 50 years. My paternal grandparents had a small grape arbor and I remember picking grapes and making juice and jelly from them. They would hang these huge cheesecloth bags from the rafters in the workshop to drain the juice. 

My setup isn't nearly as large. But I have to say I am getting a bit tired of a purple, sticky kitchen. Added incentive to finish up. 

But it hasn't all been about grapes. 



I did have enough raspberry juice to make a batch of raspberry jelly. No pesky seeds! This is a precious stash and will be savored and go to a couple of people who will really appreciate it.

My head is a bit swelled - and not as a reaction to the grapes. My spaghetti sauce and salsa are a hit. So much so I am almost out of both. Now I know and will make more next year! Well, actually the salsa I will make again in a couple of months as it is not dependent on fresh tomatoes. 

I have to go take care of a friend's animals while he is out of town this morning. I'll get more jars for the juice on my way home and, hopefully, get the rest of the grapes processed. 

And drink more grape juice!


Comments

Popular Posts