Positive Focus Sunday - Hiking, Fall and I Did It!

Last Thursday was my day off. Well, actually Thursday and Friday were my days off. And I had planned to start on one of my flower beds since the weather turned 'fall' overnight. 

However, Slider, and his big ENERGY filled body, convinced me he needed to go for a walk. And since I want to check out more 'hiking' areas rather than just park walking, I decided to explore Crowder's Mountain State Park. 

It's only about a 10-15 minute drive away and it seemed like a great idea. Plus I was so tired of looking at grapes! 

We jumped into the car - well, I boosted Slider into the car and I just slid in - and headed out.





I stopped in the visitor center briefly. I want to go back for a longer look around as they had a whole exhibit room I didn't get to check out. The lady behind the desk was very helpful. I grabbed my map and got his Highness out of the car and off we set.


Now for a true confession.

The trail to the top of the mountain is considered 'strenuous'. In my little mind, strenuous Montana and strenuous North Carolina (well, at least Crowder's Mountain) are two separate things. And if I was going to hike, I wanted to go to the top.


The Pinnacle is the trail which goes to the top.



The trail was wide and there were markers all along the trail. One thing I really liked was the fact that every so often there was a small sign marking the where you are on the trail and to call 911 in case of emergency and give them that number so they can pinpoint your location. This is especially nice since Texter and I are true crime junkies and there are several podcasts about murders in state and national parks. I had texted her to let her know where I was going and when I got home - just saying.

Anyway...



I will admit that as the trail got steeper, I relied a bit on Slider to pull me along assist me along the way.
While I have been on much, much steeper trails, I am about 3 years out of shape for uphill hiking.

Then we neared the top. 

And saw this...


Not sure how I felt about this sign. However, I was so close to the top I didn't want to turn back before I got all the way to the top.

Please note...there were NO railings to keep anyone from going over the side. Darwin Rules here!


Getting near the top you start getting hints of what is to come.


There is a 'stairway' to the top - sort of.




My one complaint is the path once you get to the top is a bit confusing. And heading down I did miss the trail and had to cut across country, downhill, to get back on the real trail.


Slider was great. He alerts to people coming up behind us or toward us on the trail with his ears. He doesn't bark at people or dogs. He just wants to go to them and have them pet him. Same thing with dogs. He isn't aggressive in any way. He's going to be a great walking/hiking buddy. He even has a little collapsable bowl for water now.

It did take us about 2.5 hours to walk the trail and make it back. We did hang out on the top for a bit and had our water before we headed back down. This is a hike we will repeat. Well, maybe another trail. I've been to the top and maybe we will do the longer (and flatter) lake trail next time.


I have to say my upper thighs are a bit sore - still. Slider rebounded the next day. But I did manage to wear him out. He not only had to walk over 4 miles, but he did it hauling me along part of it.

More hikes to come!

































Comments

Popular Posts