Tea for Two!

My birthday is tomorrow (the 16th) and I'm working. However, a very dear friend wanted to treat me to a special birthday outing so we met up on Monday at the O'Henry Hotel in Greensboro. Kind of a halfway point for the two of us. 

When I arrived, I was immediately enchanted. This hotel is like a chunk out of time - an oasis in the middle of a modern city. 







How impressive is this entrance! I felt I should have been pulling up in a stretch limo rather than parking my SUV in the parking lot. 




One of their 'pick-up' cars is a version of a black London cab. And the luggage cart is powered by a bicycle. 






You enter through a circular doorway and find yourself into this large, open paneled lobby. It's like stepping back in time. Sitting there, awaiting my friend to arrive, I felt like I should have a book in my lap and everyone should have a British accent. Or I was reading an Amelia Peabody book by Elizabeth Peters and am sitting in the lobby of a Cairo Hotel awaiting high tea. 

Couches and chairs are mismatched, but set in groupings to allow for a sense of privacy for those arriving for tea. The ambiance of this hotel is fantastic!




The china used for the tea are all china and different patterns. I think this lent a great look to the afternoon. The teapots and teacups and saucers where all mixed. This was a great touch. Personally, I think if they were a 'hotel' set of dishes or all the same, it wouldn't have the same feel for the tea. 

There are three 'levels' to the tea and we had the middle option - which is more than enough per person and at a really, really reasonable price. I've spent more money at McDonalds!






If you think the food looks pretty, the taste exceeded the looks!

I had a peach black tea. Miss C had a pomegranate oolong tea. While I am not normally a hot tea drinker, I drained the pot!





The 'Light Afternoon Tea' was comprised of both sweet and savory items. A few of the items were warm, like the scone (with lemon curd or butter) and a little roll were best eaten first while still warm. It was difficult not to just start shoving food into my mouth.




Our chairs back up to the view out to the patio area. Once again, another lovely area of the hotel which I would love to wander through.

Two hours of sipping tea, munching on fantastic tidbits, and chatting, Miss C and I parted ways. This was after I was presented by a birthday cupcake by the attentive waiter. 




I will definitely be going back - hopefully sometime soon. I want to take Savvy and Texter for tea one day. Plus, I am hoping they will be able to bring back their 'special event' teas soon. They have a 'Mad Hatter Tea', 'Wizard of Oz' and 'Nutcracker' tea party. Fingers crossed!


















Comments

Popular Posts