Food and Fiber Friday - Brewing Update

 



So while the Blueberry Mead, Blueberry Wine, Hard Apple Cider and Basic Mead are bubbling away in their 'revised' brew closet, I will have 2 more bottles joining them shortly.

After coming home with a box of assorted pears, I have (top left photo) pear wine or 'Perry' and (bottom left photo) a Spicy Pear Mead going through their initial fermentation. 

Just before I started on my new creations, I did have to 'check' on the apple cider and the basic mead. And while they still have a ways to go, they are tasting quite promising at the moment.

A couple of things though. The rubber bands on the bungs and airlocks are not standard equipment. However, when you have cats which will run into the closet when you open the door, they are necessary. And while I hated spending a few hours moving boxes around upstairs to move the boxes in the closet up there, I am happy with a large brew/storage area now. Two low coffee tables from Savvy will hold the brews and equipment I am accumulating. The rest of the closet will store my bulk purchases of toilet paper and dog food.

I do have plans on making strawberry mead and wine, as well as, peach, when the local fruit season starts. And if I make it up to Virginia like I have promised Lady K to pick cherries, there may be a couple more bottles bubbling away in my closet.

My overall plan is to set aside a bottle of each for Savvy when I visit her and Mr. Arizona after they move. One bottle will be set aside for tasting after one year. The rest will be for me and friends to savor. 

But I do have to be patient. However, I am loving learning this new-to-me craft. While I want a small fruit press, which will also come in handy for making jelly and juices, I will draw the line at making beer. Maybe...


Comments

Popular Posts