Seedy Saturday - I'm Growing!



The weather has become more 'spring-like' this past week. 

And I have been 'attempting' to clean up and update my garden areas. Couple of things holding me back.

First, I can't afford to dump a lot of money onto any kind of real fencing to keep a certain 100 pound dog out of things. But I am working on it slowly but surely.

Second, I have finally admitted to myself I am no longer 30 and can't work out in the yard for hours at a time. A couple of hours and I have to rest. Sigh...

Anyway...

Despite everything, I am optimistic.

My potatoes I dropped into tubs the end of December have now grown to the top of the soil in the tubs - a good 12-18 inches. So I am excited. I did peek at the potatoes I plopped down in the ground are sending out roots and runners, so I just might get a few potatoes in a couple of months.

The winter sowing in the garden is going well. I just added some lettuces and kales to the grouping. Hopefully, I will be transplanting them into the 4x4 beds sometime soon. 

The first couple of rounds of seed sowing inside are now out on the porch for some sun and fresh air. I will be transplanting them into cups sometime in the next few days. I need to finish cleaning off the table on the porch so I can set the cups.

I also started a flower bed, anchored by tubs of potatoes and sweet pea flowers. I have a fragrant yellow rose in the center with 4 peonies around it. I'll put more perennial flowers in the bed. I am going to have to figure out how to get some kind of 'fencing' around it to keep Slider from running through it. 

Inside, my basils are starting and I have two more flats of flowers, tomatoes and peppers starting. I would really like to do a plant sale the end of April, first part of May for a bit of money for some fencing. 

Raspberries have been semi-pruned and tied up in some kind of way. Hopefully I will get a few berries this year. 

I do have a couple of small lilacs I need to get into the ground this week - surrounded by some stakes so you-know-who won't dig them up. 

And my first yard mowing of the year! 

I still have to rake up the debris from cleaning off the fence in the back yard. And then mow. I still have a few tomato buckets to empty out too. I will dump the clippings and old soil from the buckets onto an area where I will be planting tomatoes in the ground in the near future. 

The black plastic I will spread out over the larger garden area and slowly fold it back as I work on a row. I need to erect a tiny bit of fencing for trellising cucumber and squash up against the back of the house - the first row of the larger garden. I will work down from that narrow bed into the regular rows.

Luckily, other than the very front of the yard, the soil seems to be really nice. Fingers crossed. 

But I need to get a chair or bench for the back yard so I can sit and rest and enjoy the veggies of my labors. 

 

Comments

Popular Posts