Seedy Saturday - Rainy Days and Freezing Temps



Today is going to be a cool and rainy start and finishing up with freezing temperatures. Sigh...

My 'issue' is going to be covering up some plants and bringing seedlings inside for the evening. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

Potatoes are going great guns. My sugar snap beans are also flourishing. My winter sowing is getting to the point some of the things need to be moved into a bigger container and the broccoli rabe is starting to take off.

After picking up a couple of things at Costco over the past couple of weeks, I now have a bed started for flowers. In the center is a fragrant yellow rose which is surrounded by 4 peonies. I covered with mulch and hopefully my string fence will keep Slider out (ha!). But I plan on filling it with flowers. I have borage, hollyhocks, dahlias, poppies, calendula and more to set out.

Also this week, with Savvy selling up and moving to Arizona (that's another story), I picked up 21 pavers and about 6 pieces of landscape poles from their house. I had plans to start on a set of steps up the side of the house with the pavers and a pathway to the front porch. However, the weather has postponed that project for a few days.

On the other half of the yard I am going to establish a second flower bed to sort-of match the bed on the other side of the yard. I will be using the landscape timbers to mark the bed. I will probably put some of my banana trees in the center to anchor it.

Two fragrant yellow roses are also on either side of the front steps leading from the sidewalk. I do have two lilac seedlings to plant. But once again, it will have to wait until the weather clears and I can make a cage around it to keep my 100 pound 'beaver' from eating them. Slider likes wood and has already dug up a couple of small shrubs I planted. Luckily, one of them was free. 

I started repotting the seedlings into larger pots. But I need to go ahead and purchase cups and more potting soil. And pray the temperatures stay above freezing from now on as I have several hundred seedlings to pot up for my (hopefully) plant sale. 

But today, after the rain and before the freezing temps arrive, it's an inside day. So as I clean, plants go into the bath tub for a deep soak. Followed up with a big bowl of homemade potato soup with some fresh bread.

 

Comments

Popular Posts