Bookish Thursday - Two 5-Star Books for March

While I am fine with giving out 4-stars in reviews on Goodreads, a 5-star is a bit harder for me to give out. 

But this month I have 2 5-star books, one of which I already knew would be a top-rated book for me, the other a surprise.

First, the book I knew going in I would love.




Actually, Anne Bishop would have to do a lot for me not to love one of her books. Her recent release, Crossbones, is set in The World of the Others and follows the characters at Lake Silence. 

Set at Halloween, the Others don't understand the concept of it, of dressing up in costumes. But they are willing to learn. However, someone has taken the event and brought out a legend the Crows believe in and not will good results. 

This book follows a side story of The Others and it is hard for me to decide which storyline I enjoy the most. Bishop does a fantastic job of showing what shits people can be, while there are some people out there who are willing to work at being 'good'. And the confusion The Others often feel over the motives and actions of humans.

Just yummy and I can't wait for the next book to come out.

The second 5-star was a bit of a surprise to me.




House of Earth and Blood is the first book in the Crescent City series. And it has been all over Book Tube with the second book being released. Since it was so in my face, and others were raving over it, I had to see what all the hype was about.

It's a chunky monkey - let me say that right up front. So this isn't something you can just plop down and read through in an afternoon. 

I started reading the book and at first was not impressed. It took me a bit to get into the story and become invested. And then I really, really got into it. To the point, I couldn't read it fast enough to see what was going on with the mystery Bryce and Hunt were working on. 

When I stay up past my bedtime in order to find out how the conclusion of the book works out, that's a good book! 


Both books contain a magic system, shape shifters and another world loosely based on our world. And both Bishop and Maas did a great job of showing while people can be deceptive, with no care for the outcome of their actions, there are people who are willing to do the right thing, regardless of the personal cost.

I'm happy with my March reads!




Comments

Popular Posts