Seedy Saturday - And Let the Yardwork Begin!

The past week or two has been a roller coaster of temperatures. From crop damaging lows to balmy 70's. All of which means different activities in the garden, including moving seedlings inside for a couple of nights to protect them. 

Plus, inn the midst of getting ready to move back to Arizona, Savvy and Mr. Arizona have been getting rid of 'stuff', inside and out. 

And being the packrat that I am, I have been gathering up the bounty.

The first of which was 21 pavers and some landscape timbers. Which have become a pathway up the steeper slope from the front to the back and a 'matching' flower bed!

I can say I won't be taking up making paths for a living, but at least I have a way up the steepest slope from the back yard now. 

Ok...

So I am calling my design for the yard - 'organic'. 

The pathway still needs some 'tweaking'. Going downhill on the steepest part, I think I need to place a brick between the pavers, as it is just a bit of a reach between stones. Uphill, it seems to be ok. And by the HVAC unit and the top of the hill, I am going to use that section to put all the bulbs I have been bringing home from work, rather than watching them get thrown out. If they come back, fine. If not, fine too.

The timbers I still need to sink into the ground a bit. Most of the winter sowing is growing nicely. So well, I need to separate out a couple of containers of poppies. Rudbeckia and coneflowers are starting to regrow and I'll move them from the containers into one of the two flower beds. 

Beside the front steps down to the house, I have a fragrant yellow rose on each side and a lilac further up the slope by the front gate. I would like the lilacs to be trained as standards, or trees, rather than becoming bushes. 

Of course, all of this means at least a visual sign to Slider he can't run over or eat certain things.

In one of the new flower beds, besides a large, fragrant yellow rose, I have 4 peonies started. They are growing and looking pretty good.

And on the peony front, 'Christine', my Montana peony, is starting to put forth some shoots. The poor thing has been through a wringer the past few years and is still trying to become a real peony bush. But she is looking hopeful.

The coming week will see me starting to repot several hundred seedlings, mainly tomatoes. Hopefully, I can have a plant sale and make a few dollars for fencing in the yard. If not, then I will have way too many tomatoes for my own garden!

Fingers crossed, the worse of the winter weather is over and we can slowly head toward summer. 

Comments

Popular Posts