Seedy Saturday - Everything's Coming up Roses!



Something I did plant last year, right after I moved into my house (1 year here! Huzzah!) were 3 little knockout roses and 1 large rose. And then, because of where they are, they were pretty much ignored. They are covered in buds now. I can't wait. So now I need to remember to deadhead them and give them some love - probably a good dose of fish emulsion.

But roses aren't the only things blooming in the garden. It is slowly coming to life and I am so happy.




I have several smaller clumps of salvia around the yard and this large mass in the front bed. They are covered in blooms. What really makes me happy is that they are from seeds I started last year with winter sowing. I planted them out and they sat there last year and now they are just expanding and growing like crazy.




Night scented stock from this year's sowing. They are so delicate looking and I have them in a couple of places in the front yard.




An amaryllis I rescued and put in the ground is ready to open shortly. They are in the bed where there are lilies emerging, along with a couple of other bulbs.




The Meyer Lemon is covered with hundreds of flowers. I really want to move him into a slightly larger pot and put him in the spot behind the baby olive trees. But for right now, he is just covered buds.




The two pots of sugar snap peas are starting to bloom - so peas can't be too far away. My Sweet Pea flowers are coming along and I can't wait.







One of the things I am excited about is the borage which I grew from seeds this year. Several of the plants are getting ready to bloom. I planted the borage mainly because I wanted pollinator friendly plants. Not to mention I can also eat the flowers. 

I have about a dozen dotted around the front yard and I will probably move a couple of them into veggie beds once I get them started to attract beneficial insects. Apparently they are good to plant around tomatoes and beans, my two main vegetables. 

So, here it is, one year of home ownership and things are taking off in my yard. It's so exciting and I can't wait to see what it looks like another year down the road. 











 

Comments

Popular Posts