Seedy Saturday - While Awaiting More Seeds...



...I dug into one of the 4x4 beds. 

The onions are Red Welch onions and I planted them as a clump. And they are really a spring onion type and have been in the ground for a year now and are going to seed. So they got yanked out.

I am very happy with the look of the oregano, thyme and parsley in the bed which I will slowly turn over into a completely herb bed. Sage is getting there and the cilantro reseeded and coming back. There is a big clump of garlic chives which aren't really the kind I want, but will leave them alone for a bit.

However, on Wednesday I decided I needed to transplant baby lettuces and kale. After a couple of hours of moving saliva and catnip to another location, I filled the beds with 'salad stuff'.





What looks like a bare corner of the bed is actually Merlot Lettuce, a nice dark red. I can't wait because I know, in a few weeks, the beds should hopefully be full of salad greens. I will pick the outer leaves so they will keep growing and, hopefully, I will be eating healthier by having fresh salads daily.

In other areas of the garden, my Meyer Lemon, Michael, is starting to put out blooms despite the cold weather he has endured.



'Michael' will be going into a larger pot shortly and moved, probably beside the front porch. 

Something I can grow it seems is catnip.




There are 3 or 4 smaller clumps in other beds. But this beast has survived freezing temperatures, drought, neglect, poor soil and is now about 18 inches across and 12 inches tall. Luckily, with 4 cats, I can harvest it often.

Actually, what I need to do is pot up a couple of the smaller clumps and gift it to Texter and Mr. Cobra for their cats. I would offer some to Savvy, but she is moving across country and doesn't take care of plants very well, so not happening.

Another victim of terrible plant mothering, is my 'Montana' peony, 'Christine'. 




Whoever said peonies were finicky and difficult, needs to check this poor baby out. Dug up in Montana and put in a pot. Planted at the house which burned. Dug up again and put in a pot and moved 2400 miles away. Forgotten to be watered. Super neglected. And then, finally, planted at my new home. 

Actually, she was stuck in the ground with a bit of hope she would make it, but not holding out hope last year. But she did and dying back as winter arrived.

Now she is putting up a very vigorous stand of branches and leaves. I don't know that she will have it in her to put forth any flowers this year, but I'm just glad she has made it. 




Salvia, which I grew from seeds last year and then stuck in the ground in random spots when I moved, are thriving. Not only doing well, but also putting out blooms already. And I have 3-4 plants, which were smaller, I pulled out of the 4x4 bed and planted in my larger flower beds. It makes me very happy as I wanted it for the pollinators I hope to attract. 

This past week I have also potted up about 200 seedlings which have survived the heavy frosts I didn't cover them from. Now I am awaiting more new seeds to sow and have planted up a couple of trays of other seeds for the garden. 

Other flowers I have divided and planted around the beds are my purple coneflower and rudbeckia. Four peonies and three yellow roses have been planted, along with a couple of lilac trees. 

Slowly, but surely my garden is coming together. However, I don't anticipate every having it 'finished'. Next, is really working on my veggie garden area. Which will also have flowers in it too. 

But for now, I watching 'new babies' sprout and imagining how my yard will eventually look.
















 

Comments

Popular Posts