Bookish Thursday - Heading East - New Cultures



For about the past year I have been following several book tubers. Those are people who have videos on YouTube about books. Not a plant with tubers. 

Anyway...

Because of that I have noticed my 'world' has expanded in an unexpected, but totally delightful way. I have become more and more exposed to different cultures.

Now as a sci-fi and fantasy reader, I am well use to different 'worlds' - real and imaginary. But for the most part they are all based on Western myths, stories, things which are familiar to me. So they are easy to slip into and understand why and how things are set up.

But I have noticed over the past year or so, there are more and more diversity in my reading, which is a wonderful thing. I have whole new worlds to discover.

I thing with more and more indie publishing and more and more people are asking (and demanding) stories which are not set in a Western scenario, the chance of exposure to new-to-be myths and fairy tales based on other, ie Eastern, cultures has ramped up.

Being not only a reader, but a bit of a gamer, someone who enjoys anime and manga, to be reading stories which are based on Asian themes is really enjoyable.

While it seems I am coming across more and more books with an Eastern flair, Africa hasn't been left out.




I read Binti and it sent me on a binge read of all of Need Okorafor's backlist. It was so good and so descriptive. Recently, I finished Daughters of NRI and have pre-ordered the sequel I enjoyed it so much. 





On my bookshelf are several books to be read which are set in a non-Western universe. 




So I have a lot of world traveling to binge read. Hmmm...maybe this will be my May TBR pile?

Anyway...

I am really enjoying books which are giving me tales which are unfamiliar to me. But for now, the yard needs mowing, so I have to pause my reading and cut the grass. 





 

Comments

Popular Posts