Food and Fiber Friday - Sort Of!

In a way this post will be about food. In a way. Food in process would be a better way to describe it. Mainly because 'Seedy Saturday' has been preempted for something else which you will see on Saturday.

The weather has warmed up a bit. High 70's to low 80's, which means things are really 'popping' in the garden areas. 

In the veggie garden, the pole beans have come up and are growing by leaps and bounds.





I have three arches with pole beans on either side. I want to fix a teepee with some yellow wax beans I received in the next few days. So lots of green beans in the works. I will be planting some bush beans too, but mainly field peas (or cow peas if you want to call them that) and lima beans. 

The broad beans are about a foot tall now. And a couple are starting to put on flowers. The flowers are so cute!




Broad beans like cool weather, so I am not sure how well they will do for me. If they are halfway decent, I will replant in late fall to overwinter in the garden.  Aren't the blooms so beautiful!






The blackberry bush is FILLED with berries. I can't wait. And one of the two blueberry bushes has a nice showing of fruit for it's first year in my garden.




I am starting to roll in clover!

The white clover is really getting lush on one side of the house. I have a couple of patches of red clover. With a lot of seed left over for both, I will be resowing the red clover in the fall, along with the white clover. But slowly the clover is expanding in the yard.




The climbing roses are slowly 'climbing'. And Don Juan has opened his first rose. So beautiful and a wonderful scent. I can't wait until I have a whole arch of roses!




This container of an assortment of plants is doing well. For some reason my mints are really loving this spring. Anything mint related is overflowing. I need to harvest some lemon balm to make a syrup out of it. 

And finally, one of my favorite things this past week. 




It's hard to tell from this picture, but the chair is a bright purple. I wanted a bench or chair to put in the herb garden so I could sit and take a breather. I found the chair at a yard sale for $2 and I had a can of spray paint I bought for something else I decided not to paint. 

The chair is probably meant for a child, it's really low and a bit small. However, it is sturdy and it works for the space intended. I am going to put a journal and pen in a zip lock bag and leave it outside by the chair so I can sit and write if I want.

But today, I will do a bit of planting and weeding in the veggie garden. And then head out for more tomato and pepper plants from NCTomatoMan. I am so loving my yard and what it is becoming. 















Comments

Popular Posts