Seedy Saturday - So Many Tomatoes!




I did manage to get my first round of tomatoes from NCTomatoMan into the ground. 

Yes, I said 'first round'. Because on Friday I picked up another 35 plants. Actually, I picked up 36, but one is going to a friend. And with 35 of his plants, I have some more of my own plants to get into the ground. There will be a lot of 'fun' tomatoes growing this summer and a whole lot of seed saving going on.

Tomatoes I planted back on the 22nd of April are to the point I am starting to tie them up. And most of them have blooms on them!





So excited. The first round of planted tomatoes have flowers on them. Which means fruit is not far behind. I am really excited about trying out some new-to-me tomatoes this year. Big Rainbow tomato will probably be one of the first ones I will be able to try out. 

I don't have too many cherry, or smaller, tomatoes this year. Which is unusual, because I normally wind up with lots of cherry or grape tomatoes. I did concentrate on larger 'maters this year. And hopefully, my San Marzano tomatoes will be prolific for me. I would like to can some straight San Marzano tomatoes for sauce this year. 

The first harvest of the year took place this past week.




Kale and a bit of lettuce. The kale went into a smoothie that morning. It is so uplifting to me mentally to harvest and use things from the garden. I can't describe the feeling, but it feels so good. 

For today, I have an event at the Gastonia Farmer's Market with the Rosemary and Thyme Herb Society of Gaston County to attend. Then it's home to plant, plant, plant. I would really like to get the veggie garden planted by the first part of the coming week. Then I can concentrate on the front yard.










 

Comments

Popular Posts