Week in Review - May 1 - 7, 2023



And it was a week!

But it was also a fun and plant filled week. 

Tuesday morning was digging up plants and then scurrying off to work. The Wednesday was trying to get most of the plants into pots and hoping they would find homes quickly. Thursday morning was planting out a border of the 'new' plants behind my herb garden and then Master Gardener class that evening. 

Despite some people coming over to pick up plants, I had a car load of plants to take to the Master Gardener class to disperse. Luckily, I was cleaned out! It was such a relief to know I didn't have to deal with all those 'extra' plants.

Friday morning, up and out of the house to go set-up for the Master Gardener Group of Gaston County and their annual plant sale. It was a blast. So many plants were brought in. At first, I thought there was no way we would fill up all the tables they had set up. And in a couple of hours we did! My problem with the morning was I keep going "I want you. And you, and you..."

As a volunteer for the set-up we got our 'Golden Ticket' to buy 1 plant pre-sale. And this was my prize!




A beautiful Japanese Maple. He is about 3 feet tall with a natural bend to him. I have wanted one for ages and I know just the spot for him. He will go into the area in front of my bedroom window where the bird bath is located. It's a large bed and right by the front porch too. 

It was suggested when I planted him, to plant him in 'sideways' so he will be upright. Nope...I want that lean. So happy with my find, especially since he was only $8.

Friday afternoon was home to drop off my tree and then hit the road to pick up Lady K with a stop along the way to visit a new plant friend. 'BC' is so talented with plants and her yard is super lovely. Plus she propagates like crazy all the plants she gets. Needless to say, a whole flat of lovely gems went home with me. 

Part of what BC gave me were two ground covers - a 'mini' mint and a creeping thyme. Now I have to start dividing it and propagating it for use on my walkway when I get it installed later on this summer. I want to be able to walk on the pathway and have some of this very low growing, fragrant plants to break up the brick. Can't wait!

Saturday morning it was up and out again early to go help with the plant sale. When the doors opened at 8 a.m. the public flooded in. It was great! People had brought wagons to load up their plants on. But what was really great is when asked questions about the plants, I knew more than I thought I did. 

After the sale is over, we get to buy all the plants we want that are left over at half price. Since nothing at the sale was over $10, this is a steal. Of course, there was very, very little left over. I sadly watched my Ginger Lilies I wanted walk out the door earlier in the morning. 

But I came home with a couple of bell pepper plants and a tomato, St. John's Wort, a money plant, and a little fig. So I'm happy.

Actually, after the sale I didn't go straight home. I went straight into work as the store was crazy busy and they couldn't keep up with the 'slicing and dicing'. They didn't mind I came in wearing black sweat pants and a white shirt, since I wear a lab coat over my clothes anyway. They just wanted me for my body!

Sunday I was out in the yard early. I am slowly getting plants sorted out and into the ground for their new homes. The main area I concentrated on was to the left of the gate into the herb garden. It is now filled with iris, salvia and a ton of other plants. It will be exciting to see how it shapes up as the summer progresses. 

Now I need to get more soil and compost to amend the rest of the beds. But at least I see progress being made. I had hoped to have the front yard taken care of and concentrate on the veggie garden this week, but alas, it ain't happening. 

Otherwise this week...

  • Wrote 5 posts
  • Walked a total of  58,334 steps this week or 26.70 miles - not bad
  • Only actually finished 1 book, but have a really good book started - more on that one later

This coming week...

  • Get more of the veggie garden planted up
  • Get more of the front yard planted up
  • Pick up Lady K again this week so she will be here for her mother's birthday and Mother's Day
  • Picking up tomatoes and peppers from NCTomatoMan at the end of the week
  • Finish cleaning off the 'patio' on the back of the house and set up a potting station there
  • Paint a chair purple for the herb garden
  • Get the front porch cleaned off so I can sit there in the evening

But for now, need to figure out breakfast and maybe get some gardening done before work.






 

Comments

Popular Posts