Food and Fiber Friday - Eat From My Pantry Update

Two weeks into my 'Eat From My Pantry' and I am really pleased with the outcome to date. So far I have spent less than $30 on replacements for the kitchen - milk, foil, spinach, eggs and sugar. I'm counting the $20 I chipped in for pizza with Texter and Mr. Cobra. I will count the money I am going to spend on Saturday at Olive Garden with Lady K, Texter and Mr. Cobra (I'm not paying for everyone). Even so, I am eating well and way under what I would normally spend. 

The way things are going, I may be able to carry this into February. Yes, I have that much 'stuff' in my kitchen.

One of my favorite things was this past week I made a chicken pot pie out of the left over filling mixture. I didn't want to buy crescent rolls to make more of my individual pot pies. They don't reheat well. Plus, I had two pie crusts in the freezer I could use. 




Originally, I was going to use the second crust as a top crust. But I don't really care for that much crust. Plus I had discovered a sweet potato cheesecake pie recipe on the wrapper. And I had a box of cream cheese I needed to use. And a lot of sweet potatoes. So dessert!

Also the previous week, I soaked dried beans and made two small batches of beans and ham. Really nice as the weather turned rainy and damp feeling. 




Then for New Year's Day I fixed a meatless meal - actually quite by accident.




Black-eye peas, sweet potato, cornbread and a spinach salad - have my luck with the peas and prosperity with the spinach. And some of my grape juice I canned. Another win, as except for the spinach, every I already had on hand. 

This past week has been another good week. The ham has gone into the freezer for later use. I pulled out some salmon and had salmon, with the remains of the black eye peas and sweet potato, plus a salad one night. Pot stickers and chicken fried rice from Costco were another great meal. 

Saturday will be some bread making and chocolate chip cookies. I'll have Lady K for Friday night and we will all meet up Saturday at Olive Garden to trade her off to her mom. Along with chocolate chip cookies for Mr. Cobra as an early birthday present. 

Having set myself this challenge is turning into a lot of fun. Next week, I'll probably pull out some ground venison and use up an Ole ElPaso 'kit' for a burrito bowl. And maybe a venison steak and baked potato with salad for another night. 

I will need to pick up some yogurt for smoothies for breakfast - maybe. If the weather stays as chilly as they expect, polishing off some oatmeal may be on the menu. 

I would really love to get my shelves down as much as possible over the next 2-3 months, especially with the packaged items I have there. Granted some of them are for Lady K, but I want them down. 

But for now, I have a ton of popcorn to get through for snacks - much to Slider's delight!






Comments

Popular Posts