Seedy Saturday - Seedling Update, Orchid Update and an Announcement

 It's cold today. Yet again.

In fact, we were expecting snow overnight. The third 'winter event' in two weeks. Which is really odd for someplace which only gets this kind of weather every few years. It is making me wonder what Mother Nature has in store for us this summer. And I have a feeling it's not going to be nice.

Anyway...

Tuesday, between 'events' and enjoying weather in the low 60's, I decided to see what was under the black plastic which had been laid out all last summer and try a 'no-dig' technique for planting some of the potatoes which were chitted. 




I was extremely pleased to see nothing but bare earth under the black plastic. So exciting. I did make a bit of a hole and tuck in first some little white potatoes which had really long spouts. Then some red potatoes and finally some white potatoes. 

Over them, I dumped the contents of the old tomato pots on top of them and then laid a thick layer of leaves. The leaves, from my neighbor's trees, were already starting to break down. 

I still have about 6 more feet of bed to put more potatoes. Those will be some russet potatoes. And if any more room, more red potatoes.

Between the 3 tubs of potatoes in the front yard (2 red, 1 white) and this long bed which is about 4 feet by 20 feet, even with a modest harvest, I'll be giving away potatoes or figuring out how to store under my house this summer.

Inside...






These are leeks. I'll probably start more again in August or September and plant them outside to overwinter. 




This is the Limoncello Lemon Balm.  It is supposed to be more lemony than regular lemon balm. And as I am trying to cut back on sugar, adding mint and/or lemon balm to tea does help me cut back on the sugar in my sweet tea. Plus lemon balm makes nice little 'mounds' and I plan on planting it around my 4x4 bed area when I get the fence up.





The top container of seedlings is Broccoli Rabe and the bottom, Queeny Lilac Rose Hollyhock. I got them both from Bake Creek Heirloom Seeds, but they don't offer the hollyhock this year it seems.

Everything else is coming up except for the snail vine and the Carolina Reaper pepper, but I'm not expecting them to germinate for another few weeks. Both warned about 4-6 week germination time.

I did sit down and look at the other stuff I plan on growing from seed this year on Friday night. LOTS! 

Some I will do winter sowing with, like my zinnia and marigolds and other flowers. The vegetables I will probably start inside and have ready for transplanting into the garden. The broccoli rabe, for instance, will probably go into the garden in the next week or two. They can take some of the cooler weather. 

And tomatoes...lots and lots of tomatoes! 

For one thing, I want to see if the seeds that I saved are actually viable. Did I do it right? And I'm getting seeds from NCTomatoMan in the coming week or two which should have some interesting crosses that we don't know what is going to come out as.

Also inside are my orchids.



This baby is putting out yet another flower spike. It finished up the two spikes it had put out earlier about 2 weeks ago. And then I looked and found this spike. 

The phals are getting ready to open. 






I did have one more flower spike. However, me, in my wisdom, decided to see if I could 'straighten' the spike, not realizing exactly how firm the spikes were.




Snapped it right off!

I am hoping it will force another spike to emerge further down the broken spike. But I'm sad and a bit mad at myself. But now I know. 

Anyway, the others should be opening in the next couple of weeks. Just in time for Valentine's Day. So exciting!

Now the announcement...

On Friday I had my 'interview' with the county extension agent about the Master Gardener program in my county. I am going to go through it! 

I really want to get a bit more 'formal' knowledge about all areas of gardening. It will also give me a chance to get to know other gardeners in the area - so a bit of socializing and getting out-and-about. It will also help me learn about resources in our area pertaining to gardening. 

The class lasts 10 weeks, part of which will be online and then one afternoon a week of 'in class' - depending on how covid goes, of course. We will 'graduate' on a Thursday and the following weekend is the annual plant sale. What could be better to be able to volunteer at this plant sale!

Today and next week, I'll be working on the upstairs with Texter, getting her and Lady K's stuff sorted (some stuff needs to go to Goodwill) and repositioned upstairs so I can get up there and set up a sewing area. I also want to set up another table on the area before you go into the bedroom for seedlings and a holding area for seedlings.

A lot of fun gardening stuff going on. Now if Mother Nature will start cooperating.







Comments

Popular Posts