Seedy Saturday - I'm Growing!



The weather the past week has been, shall we say, less than warm. We had a couple of 'winter events' come through. The first one, did bring us some snow. And I made the executive decision not to get out in it to go to work. 

So what else can you do to avoid housework other than plant seeds?

Six milk jugs went out into the snow for my winter sowing. The 'toughies' are Spider Flower Mix, Giant Rattle Poppy, Night Scented Stock, China Family Heirloom Poppy, Balloon Milkweed, and Lemon Bee Balm. 

Inside, in containers I rescued from the trash bin at work, are Hens & Chickens Poppies, Cactus Flowered Dahlia, Broccoli Rabe, Limoncello Lemon Balm, Borage, Queen Lilac Rose Hollyhock, Majorette Double Champagne Hollyhock, American Flag Leek, Comfrey, Wild Bergamot, Carolina Reaper Pepper and Snail Vine.

I have the light and a small heater set up for the inside containers and run it about 12 hours a day. Well, the light for that time. The heater, only when I am at home.

I did have lids on the containers until I realized it was too humid and there was 'some fungus among us' and took them off. In doing a bit of research I found out what I had been doing for years, keeping a 'greenhouse' essentially, is really not too good for seedlings. 

One reason I started seeds in January was the Snail Vine and the Carolina Reaper are supposed to take 4-6 weeks to germinate. So away I went and grabbed stuff out of my stash and planted. I will hopefully restrain myself and wait until late February for tomatoes...maybe.

This was all on Monday.

So Thursday I happened to look at the plants to check them out. The broccoli rabe is up! And there are other seeds falling behind closely. The dahlia mix and the Queen Lilac Rose Hollyhock are showing their little heads, and the poppy is starting to sprout.

But because I was seeing some 'fungus' I tried something I hadn't before - cinnamon. I have 1.5 huge containers of cinnamon in my pantry, so I figured it would be chance to see it in action. Cinnamon is recommended for a variety of 'ailments' with plants. I first heard of using it with orchids for wounds or infections or when dividing them in order to stop any diseases. So why not?

Between removing the lids and sprinkling the cinnamon, no more fungus/mold. And the plants don't seem to care there is a dusting of spice on the top of the soil.

Another interesting thing is that I had an egg carton with some red potatoes on the front porch, chitting. The cold, snow, ice doesn't seem to have bothered them at all. I also have some white potatoes that I cut into chunks to let sit and heal over as they are chitting also.

But it's way too cold and damp to be outside doing anything, so I am thinking about applying for the Master Gardener program here in my county. Not sure if I want to or not. I'm not worried about the volunteer hours or the course study. What I am concerned about is how likely they are to be open to alternative gardening practices and organic gardening or if it is going to be all azaleas and grass lawns.

Only time will tell, just like growing plants. 

 

Comments

Popular Posts