Seedy Saturday - It's All About the Voodoo (lily)



No, that's not something from the bottom of the sea. Nor a space alien.

It's the corm for a Voodoo Lily.

It was potted up and they don't always survive over winter in a pot in my area. So I removed it and have it stored in a bag on top of the fridge. Apparently, I have done ok with it, as that little red bit in the middle is the start of a spike. I'm hoping it's an actual flower spike and not just the stem. 

A Voodoo Lily is funky and stinky, but the flower only lasts a short time and then it is just a huge stem with leaves at the top. Sort of a strange palm tree in miniature looking thing. With a speckled stem. More prehistoric that anything. 

Seeds have been ordered and I am eagerly awaiting their arrival. Winter sowing in milk cartons and other vessels has started. Lettuce, kale, spinach and chard has survived the rain and cold temperatures and have started sprouting. 

There are more potatoes being planted and chitted. Since I am getting the seed potatoes from the grocery store, my expense is minimal there. Of course, part of me is hoping they don't all grow as I will be on the street corner handing out potatoes to people going by.  On the other hand, what a wonderful problem to have. 

Now I just need to remember where I put the baby corms from the voodoo lily.

 

Comments

Popular Posts