Food and Fiber Friday - Winter Event Cooking!

Last week was a record setting week at my store in sales. People gearing up for a 'winter weather event' had us doing an obscene amount of food sales. We couldn't cut up fruit and vegetables fast enough. And the shelves were bare by the time the snow arrived.

Anyway...

I made the decision I had done my duty to 'God and Country' over the past few decades with coming into work when the weather goes to hell. Since the storm was supposed to start Saturday night, I worked that morning (normally my day off) and then advised my manager my butt would not be on the road on Sunday or Monday due to the weather. 

So...

since I am in the middle of the 'eat from my pantry' I decided this would be a great time to defrost the turkey in my freezer. Not only would it clean out a huge space in my freezer, plus it had been in there for 2 months already, it would give me the base for several meals during the coming week or two.

The storm started early, early Sunday and I got up and slide the turkey in the oven.




I ran out into the snow and clipped some rosemary for the turkey and into the oven he went. There was something comforting smelling the turkey cooking while it was snowing and sleeting outside.

Once the turkey was finished and out of the oven, bread went into the oven.




Instead of one large loaf, I made 8 hard rolls. So good and will also be breakfast the next few days too, split, coated with butter and toasted. Then a dab of homemade jam on it while hot. Yummy!

I made some giblet gravy and a bit of stuffing, which made a great, comfort-food dinner Sunday night. I had enough stuffing for another couple of meals. 

Monday I got up and started some turkey vegetable soup. Nothing like being a home, snow on the ground outside (about 4 inches) and the smell of soup simmering on the stove. Later the turkey became turkey dumplings and then turkey pot pie is on the menu also.

So I now have space in my freezer again. I also managed to clear stuff out of the pantry. I did buy the dumplings, because Anne's Dumplings are so good. 

Monday also meant I 'needed' to make some cookies, using up some more pecans. 

Oops...no pictures of the cooking making as I was also moving those out of the way to make room for seed sowing! 

But this coming Saturday there should be a whole lot of pictures of cookie baking, and maybe some bread, as I will have Lady K and she wants to make cookies!







Comments

Popular Posts