Food and Fiber Friday - Jammin' to My Mead and Wine



Well, the weather has turned a bit toasty this week. So a lot of my activity, when it's not first thing in the morning, is in the kitchen. 

I have bottled all but two of my wines and meads currently in the closet. Actually, it's now four in the closet as I just started a Strawberry Jam Wine (yes, wine from jam) and a Strawberry Mead. I love opening the closet door and hearing the 'burp, bubble, pop' of the air locks on the brews as they ferment away. 

Right now I need to get another case of the smaller swing-top bottles for the other two brews ready to bottle and let age. Hopefully, a lot of the alcohol taste will age out and in the fall I will be enjoying an evening sip of my own home brew.

Of course, considering my daughters and friends have asked, strawberry jam is in the making. So far I have done three batches of jam - two regular and one low-sugar. There will be a couple more batches made as I have the berries already cut up and strawberry seems to be everyone's favorite. 

And while I watch my garden start to take off, it's time to look for a small chest freezer so I can freeze veggies, as well as, can them. With the rising costs of food, I really want to 'put up' as much as I can. However, with the number of tomato plants I have in the ground so far, and more to go in, along with more beans, peas and corn, I will also be looking for a Food Bank to donate fresh produce to probably. 

Of course, in between the jam and the wine there has been a bit of ice cream making. Last weekend it was Rocky Road, the first time I've made that flavor. And I found a recipe that's a keeper I do believe. I shared with Texter and Savvy, so didn't have to whole batch to myself. That's being made today!

But while the ice cream is churning, I'm jammin' a bit more!



 

Comments

Popular Posts