Food and Fiber Friday - Let the Canning Begin!



It's that time of the year again!

My first batch(es) of strawberry jam is underway. I was given almost 4 flats of strawberries and lots of pleading looks for 'Mama's Jam'. 

I have to admit the asking for my jam does make my head swell a bit, especially when people who are relatively new to my canning and preserving ask if I'm making some again. 

Of course, there is nothing better in the morning than some buttered toast and a spoonful of homemade jam. Or a nice, hot biscuit. 

Strawberries are the signal for the beginning of the canning and preserving time of year. Next, will probably be some cherries. Although, I might just freeze them and save them for pies. Then come peaches. 

And with the garden going in, I have already been asked for tomato sauce and spaghetti sauce. And salsa. There will also be canning or freezing of green beans, field peas and hopefully, corn. 

But in the meantime, I think it's time for some toast and strawberry jam to go with my coffee. 


 

Comments

Popular Posts