Positive Focus Thursday - Pick Three!

Photo courtesy of Nintendo

So we have a Nintendo Switch now.

Or rather Lady K does for the most part. 

Since I knew she would be using it and we didn't have any games yet, I bought her this one to play. There are times we pick up Texter and have a 30-minute drive there and then waiting for her a bit, so the Switch works out well for her.

So what do positive focus and video games have in common?

Well, in this game you get 3 'friends' to help you battle through the levels. And when you earn a new friend you have to get rid of one. Which led Texter and I to wonder, which one of my 'tribe of 3' back in Montana would I get rid of? Which one of my friends would I get rid of at all?

First, I am not someone who 'collects' friends. To me, a friend is someone who will show up at 2 a.m. and bail you out of trouble. And then chew your ass out for getting into trouble to begin with. 

So Texter and I, on the drive into work, started discussing which friend would I drop to replace with another one. 

Miss Montana - nope. She and her whole family have proved they will show up at 2 a.m. to bail us out of trouble. Well, it was midnight, but she and Mr. Policeman showed up at midnight for our fire and took us under their wings. She can run a school bus system, run around 3 kids (well, 2 now) and fix huge meals to feed everyone. But will add you into the mix, lending a shoulder to cry or rant on with amazing calmness.

Miss Oklahoma - nope. She is me in another form. We are only a couple of weeks apart in age and have similar life experiences. And she too showed up to help without being asked. Plus she won't pull punches when giving 'recommendations' on life. And we vote the same.

Then there is Miss High Heels. Anyone who has no verbal filter at times is my kind of person. Plus she looks fantastic at dealing with two jobs, three kids and in heels. If you get to know her, you realize there are some health issues which she doesn't let stop her in the least. I whine over a hangnail and lettuce can kill her. So she passes on salad and trots along in 3-inch heels.

There are a couple of others who I have been lucky to have in my life over the years, both made here in North Carolina and back in Montana. No, they are all so different and yet all the same - they have taken me and my family and embraced us fully.

I'm not saying you should never drop a friend. There are people who come into your life and they seem great at the moment, but as time passes you realize just how toxic they are to you. That applies to family members too. And at some point, you have to draw a boundary and keep them at a distance or cut them out completely. 

So I might not succeed at Kirby, but I don't think I fail at friends.



Comments

Popular Posts