Writing Wednesday - Cursive and Continuing

Yesterday, the 18th, was the two year anniversary of our house fire. Both Texter and Savvy had been complaining of headaches and general 'yuck' and hadn't realized the date. Explained a lot.

Anyway...

Savvy and I got to spend several hours together, which is a rarity. Between her schedule and my schedule, we don't often have time to spend together. We were finishing up her Christmas present by letting her thumb through albums at a second-hand store. Her gift was a turntable. A trip to the Asian market and lunch at Carrabba's rounded out the day.

But what does this have to do with writing?

While sitting at Starbucks and enjoying a cup of coffee together, I 'pitched' my NaNoWriMo book to her and talked about how I really wanted to complete it in 2019. Actually, we discussed it being a series rather than one book.

Her encouragement ('I'd read it!' and 'I'll beta read.') and some points discussed, like arcing the story over a series rather than one book, has me really jazzed.

So I came home and pulled out my 'note' book and started working on using Save the Cat! and my storyline and seeing how I would run the story over three books (if possible).

Then Lady K came home from school.


She wanted a notebook too and to 'write'. She was so intrigued by cursive writing. (And yes, sanctuary is misspelled. For some reason I have issues on where to put the 'u'.)

We had a whole discussion about writing and how I can write like that (long years of practice!). 

I mourn the trend of removing cursive writing from schools. For me, it was a rite of passage in third grade to be able to use a pen and learn to write in cursive.

Luckily, there is a huge trend of hand lettering and the use of cursive going on out there. Hopefully, we won't lose our ability to do anything but text and type.

But at least here, there is a lot of writing going on. 

Comments

Popular Posts