Whatever Thursday - One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

So here's how it all started...

One day, a couple of weeks ago, while driving home, I was stopped at a stop sign a couple of blocks from my house. In checking for oncoming traffic, I noticed what appeared to be a young kitten crossing the road. 

I turned, determined to check out said baby cat which appeared to be all alone. 

What I discovered was...

It was a bobtail squirrel and...


What!?

A theater two blocks from my house!

So I went online to check out the Little Theater of Gastonia.

What I found out was they were reopening with a production of 'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest' and it was going to happen in just a couple of days.

After I checked to be sure Savvy was off for the matinee on Sunday, I bought 2 tickets. With my 'senior' discount, it was a total of $22. Twenty-two dollars for 2 people to see a play? Fantastic!

Of course, as with many things this past year and a half, it didn't quite work out. As we were leaving her house where I had picked her up as I got off work on Sunday, she had a work emergency and I dropped her off at work. 

Oh, well. Too bad, but I was determined not to waste two tickets.

Now I had to admit, going in to see the play, I had low expectations. After all, it was a 'community' theater - how good could it be? Every show I had seen about 'community theater' there was usually a murder involved or some romance gone bad.


DAMN FANTASTIC, THAT'S HOW GOOD IT WAS!



Actually presented by the Foothill Players, it was a really, really good performance. 

The cast was fantastic. Jamie Hardin, who played Nurse Ratched - outstanding! Oh, would she be a good Professor Umbridge. Dylan Moore, who was McMurphy, equally good in his role. In fact, the whole crew was well cast and very believable in their roles. 

Ok, the play is a bit dark. Especially these days. I had never watched the movie all the way through or read the book (not really a Nicholson fan). I knew a bit about the story and that it didn't end well. But such a great job they did. Time flew by during the performance. I was completely drawn in. 

Although Savvy wasn't there to use her ticket, I would have gladly paid $22 to see this play, knowing what I know now. 

My only regret - Savvy wasn't there to watch with me. 

I am really looking forward to the next performance by this group. 




Comments

Popular Posts