Seedy Saturday - What To Do In the Garden When It's Too Hot Outside

It has hit that time of year already, when I can't spend all day in the yard, gardening. Actually, I have it that time in life when I can't spend all day in the yard.

But here in Zone 7b, even at six in the morning, the humidity is brutal. No wind and humidity is a killer for me. And I'm not that desperate to grow things to face-plant in the yard from doing too much or in heat and humidity which is too high.

So what do you do?

In my case I settle in front of the TV or my computer and pull up my gardening shows! (Of course, there will be a large glass of sweet iced tea nearby.)

Top of the list is Gardener's World!

Now there is a caveat to this. I have to stream via BritBox. Which is fine for me because I love British shows. But there is a cost for it. 

However, the chance to watch Monty Don in his garden is worth the price for a quality hour show each week. Friday nights are my hour on the couch with Monty.


(Photo courtesy of Gardener's World)


One thing Gardener's World has done since the pandemic hit was to not only carry on the show, filming by remote control, but they also asked people to send in short videos of their own gardens.

The quality of gardens ran from no experience and the first year, to people who have gardens they have skillfully been cultivating for years. One contributor was amazing in what she is able to accomplish with her feet!


(Photo courtesy of Garderner's World on Facebook)

Sue Kent is upbeat and doesn't let what most people would consider a disability to stop her from having a garden worth being jealous of. Not only did they show her video, but they did go an interview her and she started with a fairly regular slot on the show. And she had a garden at the Chelsea Flower Show this year!

A bonus this year, is the Chelsea Flower Show was back! About six hours of touring behind the scenes at creating the gardens and displays at the show. Needless to say, I have a trip to England for the show. My life would be complete at that point!


(Photo courtesy of Country Living)

My greatest disappointment is we don't have a quality gardening show like these here in America. There are a couple of short gardening shows on PBS, they are good, but just not as lovely as Gardener's World. 

Closer to home are my YouTube videos I enjoy watching (and yes, I do subscribe to them to help them out with their numbers). 

First is The Rusted Garden with Gary Pilarchik. He lives in Maryland, which is also Zone 7, but not the hotter Zone 7 I'm in. But close enough. He also just wrote a very basic gardening book, which I purchased, The Modern Homestead Garden. I enjoy his videos on various aspects of veggie gardening.

A couple of younger guys in the San Diego, California area are a fun watch. Epic Homesteading with Kevin was called Epic Gardening and recently renamed once he bought a home. He has a much more organized and tidier garden than mine. But I enjoy watching and his video on donating excess produce to food pantries inspired me to find an outlet for my excess.

Kevin also as another Tuber on his show, Jacques in the Garden - The Garden Hermit. Besides the fact I love his hat he always wears, his garden is much more along the lines of my garden. But both he and Kevin have great tips and ideas, plus they often show cooking what they grow in simple recipes. 

And I don't just watch these shows to ogle the men!

Garden Answer by Laura LeBoutillier is fun. Of course, it doesn't hurt her family owns a large nursery. But she not only shows working in her garden in all seasons, but she also will highlight the Proven Winners selections each year. Lots of great ideas and tips from watching her videos.

Close to home is Plant Life with Ashley Anita. Based here in Charlotte, she focus solely on houseplants and takes us 'shopping' at everywhere from Plant Stores to Farmer's Markets. 

One thing I have discovered, and love, about my gardening shows, is they are all upbeat and positive. Even highlighting their fails, the shows are fun and positive. Don't find that much these days.

Keep it green and growing!






Comments

Popular Posts