Food and Fiber Friday - Can I Go Meatless?

Earlier this year, I started 'Eat From My Kitchen' in order to reduce the amount of food I already had stock piled. And I did pretty good. 

Items in my freezer went down a bit, as did the canned goods on my pantry shelf. And the amount of money I spent at the grocery store also went down. 

However, I seem to have 'filled up' again and it's only going to get worse as the garden starts producing. Right now the beans are flowering and there are a lot of baby tomatoes on the vines. Between my own garden and my 'rescued' produce, like the 6 quarts of fried corn and 16 pounds of sweet cherries, I am filling up again.




This is just one of 4 rows I have in the garden and they all (knock on wood) are thriving at the moment. There will be a lot of green beans, field peas and corn heading into my kitchen shortly. 

I know I will be canning and freezing as much as I can. (Note: a freezer is on my to-buy list asap). But even with that, I will still have a fairly steady supply of fresh vegetables shortly.

Therefore, not only am I going to buckle down and restart "Eat From My Kitchen", but I am going to see how many days in July I can go meatless.

No, I doubt I will ever go completely meatless. There are times when that juicy burger or steak rank up there with "I'll die if I don't have one!" 

But, I know during the summer, there are times when a plate of veggies and some cornbread hit the spot completely. 

So I'm thinking it will be a fun exercise to see just how many days I can go without meat, or only meat at one meal, during the month of July. It should not only help me health-wise, but also save me a bit of money. 

However, I do want a little cast iron skillet now to bake my cornbread in!


Comments

Popular Posts