Seedy Saturday - And Now We Wait (Sort Of)



The garden 'making' is just about done. I have one more row to create and plant my assortment of miscellaneous stuff. Hopefully that will happen on Tuesday with the assistance of Lady K who is with us for the summer.

However, last night I had the windows open and enjoying a couple of hours of some gentle rain. On one hand it means I don't have to water myself for the next couple of days. Which is nice since the temps the past few days have been in the mid-90's. The coming few days are in the low to mid-80's. 

That means I can expect to mow the yard next week. And while it is a 'chore', it is also mulch creation around my garden. Since this is the first year I have planted in ground, there is a lot of grass and weeds I need to keep out. Part of me is hoping the vigorous growth of the veggies will shade out some of the grass I need to pull. 

Another chore is creating a 'Florida Weave', of sorts, for my tomatoes. 

While I might have been a tad bit behind in getting them into the ground, they are making up ground rapidly. Bed #1, where the first tomatoes went in, are covered in blooms and baby tomatoes. Bed #2, at least the upper half, is gaining ground. Bed #3 and #4 and doing their best to catch up. Which means I have A LOT of tomatoes I need to start figuring out some way of supporting without spending a fortune in stakes. 

There is also some pruning of the lower leaves and suckering the tomato plants since they are planted in ground I don't want soil splashing on the lower leaves and creating disease issues. And by removing suckers, I will hopefully get larger tomatoes and promote air flow around the plants. 

In the front garden, flowers are blooming like crazy. I have already collect seed from two varieties of salvia - a purple one and a fuchsia one. My poppies are blooming and I'm watching the seed heads to make sure I grab them in time to save the seeds. However, I might let one or two self-seed. 

The borage is also being watched to collect seeds. At the cost of borage seeds, if I can get enough, I might sell some online next year. 

Raspberries are coming in and make for a nice snack while out in the garden. Redesigning and implementing a new support system will be in the works for this fall and winter however.

I would like to be relaxing and strolling around the garden without a constant to-do list circling in my brain. There is still so much I want to and need to do. 

But for now, I'll be thankful for a pleasant couple of hours of rain and cool breezes. And maybe sample some of my homemade hard apple cider to see if it's 'ready' yet.

 

Comments

Popular Posts